I Took A Cruise Down Crews Hill Today

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I went in 5 different LFS and was SO uninspired, the only thing I decided I wanted was a pair of rams and they weren't on sale yet!! But they were LUSH.

I want to set up my 2 gallon with a few shrimp so I saw some sunshine yellow shrimp at Wildwoods but the females were colourless so I felt a bit bored by that. Only 1 other LFS had shrimp, some cherries, again a bit boring.

I saw some female fighters, they were boring. I saw some in another shop, to me was a bunch of male juvies all picking and scrapping at each other.

I saw about 8-10 oscars in a 2 foot tank :/

I saw a tank full of dead red tailed sharks, something obviously wiped them all out, if they weren't dead they were upside down gasping for air.

It was a thoroughly depressing trip.

I know people slate Amwell for being expensive but they never fail to impress me with their selection and the health of the fish and friendly staff, I do like Wildwoods a hell of a lot, but there was nothing doing there today, just really boring.
 
Yeah, I know what you mean. I poped into my LFS on the way home, and felt the same....Variety is the spice of life...I do like the german rams, but they are really delicate and sensitive. Pretty, but not my cup of tea.

Emma
 
That's a shame i never fail to find something i like in Wildwoods and i go every week :)
 
I know Rams are so sensitive, perhaps it was a blessing as my tank is thriving - why you going home so early young lady, the day's only half over

Karl if I had £££ to spend I would have got an L number for sure, but just the pocket money buys were nowhere near as exciting as they usually are

Never mind, these things happen for a reason
 
Pretty much the same here.

Went to my fav today, and they had RTCs, and penga-whatsit sharks :( really disappointed.

They had quite a few shrimp in, but all made up fancy names like "Red Apple Grass Shrimp" and "Green Leaf Shrimp", and no one could tell me anything about any of them. :rolleyes: They had some REALLY cool looking macro shrimp in though!! Shame i have nowhere to put them lol.

The only good thing, really, was the dwarf puffers. Or, as they called them, "Tiny Golden Puffers". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 
I went to wildwoods afew weeks back and came home with some madagascans i had wanted for ages , i would have come home with lots if i had the room, the other fish shops there weren't much cop except the maidenhead aquatics they had good choice. But i was also looking for some nice plecs and found alot were overpriced so came home and ordered them from internet + delivery for cheaper, probably abit smaller but they soon grow
regards Angel
 
Which shop did you see the rams in and what type were they? I live right next to crews hill and am going fish hunting tomorrow.

Do you know if there were males and females too?

Thanks :)
 
I went to wildwoods afew weeks back and came home with some madagascans i had wanted for ages , i would have come home with lots if i had the room, the other fish shops there weren't much cop except the maidenhead aquatics they had good choice. But i was also looking for some nice plecs and found alot were overpriced so came home and ordered them from internet + delivery for cheaper, probably abit smaller but they soon grow
regards Angel
Where do you order your plecs from Angel? X
 
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Amwell know what there talking about and the shop being full of knoweldege. I have heard some corkers in my time but that one really tickled me pink. The shop is awful and very expensive I know where they get there stock from they do not import it there selves and all they do is triple the price compared to other shops and put a European bred .......... infront of the name. They really do make me laugh and the knowledge is very minimal. Here is an example and probably one of the best examples I have seen in that shop:

Platinumblack.jpg


pricetag.jpg
 
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Amwell know what there talking about and the shop being full of knoweldege. I have heard some corkers in my time but that one really tickled me pink. The shop is awful and very expensive I know where they get there stock from they do not import it there selves and all they do is triple the price compared to other shops and put a European bred .......... infront of the name. They really do make me laugh and the knowledge is very minimal. Here is an example and probably one of the best examples I have seen in that shop:

Platinumblack.jpg


pricetag.jpg

I didn't say knowedgeable, my fish from there just never die. Fish from everywhere else do die or bring diseases to my tank. Wildwoods got better recently though.
 
Dont buy diseased fish then. I have never had one diseased fish from wildwoods and I dont like the shop so would love to say that I have. Amwell get there stock from the same place as most of the shops in crews hill inc wildwoods. If you want to go into fish health though the aro that I pictured came in in very good condition and is now stunted and has drop eye. They have a red asian aro in a trigon 350 with serious gill curl they have a stunted xback aro in a rio 400 with an aba aba they eat crocodiles btw. They also have pangasus cats and aligator gars for sale. So know not very good stock but if your only looking at common bread and butter fish then you wont notice all the problems and the prices are horrific £2.95 for a guppy come on.
 
Dont buy diseased fish then. I have never had one diseased fish from wildwoods and I dont like the shop so would love to say that I have. Amwell get there stock from the same place as most of the shops in crews hill inc wildwoods. If you want to go into fish health though the aro that I pictured came in in very good condition and is now stunted and has drop eye. They have a red asian aro in a trigon 350 with serious gill curl they have a stunted xback aro in a rio 400 with an aba aba they eat crocodiles btw. They also have pangasus cats and aligator gars for sale. So know not very good stock but if your only looking at common bread and butter fish then you wont notice all the problems and the prices are horrific £2.95 for a guppy come on.
If it's a fish I want and can't find elsewhere then I'll buy it tbh. I hate the way they have the aro in that corner tank and the one in the door as you come in, I admit that is just wrong and yeah the fish are overpriced but I feel it's always worth looking around, they have a really good selection of shrimp if you like that sort of thing, anyway Mark I don't ever recall you agreeing with anyone about anything that I have personally read, so I'll add myself to list [gracefully of course] and agree to disagree with you. The shop is clean, the tanks are clean, there's a wid selection, the fish are healthy, the atmosphere is good, the staff are very pleasant.

The number of LFS I have been into that is like walking into something you feel you'll never escape, dead fish in every tank and a couple of spotty teenagers quivering under the desk is just not on. Amwell ARE expensive and they have committed some shocking fish crimes but they are still one of the shops I'll always look in down to trusting the stock is good and I will be treated well as a customer and I'm guessing that you don't like it at all and won't be going there again so big ups, whatever.
 
I agree with alot of people on this forum but if I dont agree with something I will say. The people in the shop maybe friendly but you dont go to a shop to make friends well I dont anyways I go to a shop to buy something I want. The staff will sell you anything just like anyother lfs they dont care what shop its going into ask the girl that works there about her silver aro in her juwel rio 180 great huh. They do have a good selection of fish but I wouldnt say there selection of bread and butter fish is any different to that of MA in Cruse hill and if its shrimp you want if you ask someone they will order some in for you. You started this thread moaning about how bad Crews Hill lfs were dont get all defensive when somebody tell you how bad yu favorite fish shop is. If you want to pay £495 for a zebra plec or £3900 for a blue base xback aro or £2.95 for a guppy thats up to you but you will get the same fish from Wildwoods or MA.
 
I agree with alot of people on this forum but if I dont agree with something I will say. The people in the shop maybe friendly but you dont go to a shop to make friends well I dont anyways I go to a shop to buy something I want. The staff will sell you anything just like anyother lfs they dont care what shop its going into ask the girl that works there about her silver aro in her juwel rio 180 great huh. They do have a good selection of fish but I wouldnt say there selection of bread and butter fish is any different to that of MA in Cruse hill and if its shrimp you want if you ask someone they will order some in for you. You started this thread moaning about how bad Crews Hill lfs were dont get all defensive when somebody tell you how bad yu favorite fish shop is. If you want to pay £495 for a zebra plec or £3900 for a blue base xback aro or £2.95 for a guppy thats up to you but you will get the same fish from Wildwoods or MA.

I know, their zebra's are obscenely overpriced and sadly I am yet to find a favourite LFS, none of them are THAT good. But I do like having friendly staff because I am really scared of people [I know, sad] and it's better for someone to make me feel comfortable so I stick around and shop, than how intimidated a lot of LFS staff make me feel because I wanna buy cories instead of piranhas. Anyyyyywayyyy...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top