I took a chance…

Magnum Man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Added 1 golden Denison to my last order from Dan’s… sounds like they can be all over on weird coloration, and can have problems with their eyes… but my little new guy looks great
IMG_4809.jpeg
IMG_4812.jpeg
IMG_4811.jpeg

Is that bamboo going out of the tank or is it fully submerged? Does it do well submerged?

I have both… it really doesn’t “grow” submerged… I have had some for more than a year submerged and it’s only grown an inch or so longer in the leaves, and no longer a n the stem… I recently moved some around, so it emergent, and the leaves that are above the water have greened up more… and I have a few that have most of the leaves emergent, and those are “growing”

I tried several methods of growing it submerged, with not much growth, but probably better than plastic plants… in over a year, I’ve only had 3 stalks actually die, out of a couple dozen

More about buying that “type” of fish…. Tons of problems associated with them… I’m pretty confident in this particular seller as far as actual fish health

No need to quarantine a fish from Dan's as they quarantine before selling. I live right nest door to Dan's warehouse and have been inside fairly often so know how they handle fish. ;) LOL! Being next door also means I don't have to pay shipping. ;)

More about buying that “type” of fish…. Tons of problems associated with them… I’m pretty confident in this particular seller as far as actual fish health
I have an order in with Dan’s Fish. He gets great reviews, but this is my first order. My quarantine tanks are already full. Do you think I need to quarantine fish from Dan? If I do, I’ll move some of my quarantine fish into the main tank. It’s been a few weeks.

Dan's quarantines before putting fish up for sale.

<edit to add info>
Since this is your first order be ready for what MAY be a bit of a surprise. Each fish will arrive in its own container.

Last edited:
Dan's quarantines before putting fish up for sale.

<edit to add info>
Since this is your first order be ready for what MAY be a bit of a surprise. Each fish will arrive in its own container.

Dan's may do a wonderful job granted but....fish can stress and get sick from shipping. You put those fish in that Dan took great care of and through no fault of his youve now got a case of ich running rampant through your tank. It's always better to quarantine

Reviving this old thread… not many understood it’s title really… the line bred “Goldie ( Denison Barb ) have a lot of issues, including blindness… apparently the seller can tell if they are likely to be blind at a young age, and try’s not to sell those… but their coloration changes, and from looking at mine today, quite a bit, and quite often… 2 to 3 weeks ago, “Goldie” actually looked camouflage, less gold color and a lot of variations of brown patches… this morning at 1st light, it’s fully gold again, the seller has said, often times they end up looking like the original Denison coloration, sometimes they get some of the brown patches, and that’s how they stay… that’s what I meant by taking a chance… it’s an interesting variation, but I normally like to know what my fish are going to look like… today it looks like the 1st pictures I posted… 2 weeks ago, I thought it was going to look camouflage for the rest of it’s life… but it’s still changing… sorry, no pictures of it in that phase… it’s grown about 50% since I bought it now that it’s back to gold, that’s the color I was as hoping for…

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back