I Think My Krib May Have Laid Eggs? They Are Free Swmming!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

i won't be breeding foe a little while yet, just getting to grips with the hobby :) i have already done some digging and all being well and fish being in A1 condition, they will buy my left over clown pleco's that i cant home :) ive set up my 4ft tank today so my 2f will become my breeding tank.

how many fry are you expecting? a fair few by the sounds of it!!!! 3 caves with eggs :good: you must be doing somthing right!

Well, from the looks of it, I counted about 30. These are the ones that are in the light, but there are TONS more inside the cave that I could not count. So, I will have quit a bit a fry! This in only one cave, I have not counted the eggs in the other two caves yet, lol.

-FHM

The vibrating means they have already hatched. They are "wrigglers", which means they are baby fish that are not strong enough to swim yet, because their egg sac weighs to much. As soon as they use enough energy from it, they will start swimming. Congrats BTW! I have never witnessed or heard of kribs laying in 2 caves, let alone 3!

Well, lets hope the other eggs will hatch, we will see! The female keeps going between all the caves every couple of minutes to check on them. However, only the eggs on the one cave have hatched, so I do not even know if the other eggs in the other caves have even been fertilized. I don't know, all I know is that I am over whelmed with joy right now for the ones that have hatched!

BTW, how long until they are free swimming?

Thanks!

-FHM

Thanks! I cannot wait until they hatch! Tank temp is steady at 80 degrees!

So what do I feed them? Crushed flake food? There is also some algae growing in the tank, will they pick at that at all?

-FHM

The best food is frozen baby brine shrimp of daphina. But crushed flake food or a powderd fry food would work also.

congratulations,,again.. you must be over the moon :) dont forget to get some photos in a few days when they are big enough..... hope you got some sleep and didnt sit watching them allll night :lol:

shelagh xxx

:lol:

Well they have hatched yesterday morning and where in the "Wriggle" state.

Yeah I am hoping they become free swimming soon! The female has seemed to move them to another cave, one in which I cannot see into, so I am hoping everything is going good in there! lol

Since this is their first batch together, they may eat their fry, but I am hoping they do not. So far though,the female is spending all her time in the new cave, and the male is still keeping watch and pushing away the cories if they come too close. Hopefully tomorrow, if not today, they will become free swimming!

-FHM

Just waiting until they are free swimming! I cannot see the fish in the cave right now, so I am praying that they are still in there and have not been eaten by their parents!

Fingers crossed!

"Come on little guys! you can do it!" :lol: That was me talking to the fry! :lol:

The female and the male are starting to get their spawning colors back, so who knows, probably in a week or so there might be another batch of fry! :hyper:

-FHM

Yes, I am hoping they all are okay!

It seems that the female has moved the fry once again, because she and the male are now occupying another cave.

-FHM

Most reactions

Back