I think I killed my fish during water change

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I thought I was getting the hang of water changes, and then this happens. Let me tell you how I do my water changes. First, I unplugged both heater and filter. Then stick the siphon in and siphoned out all the gunk within the substrate until the water looks 25% drained. I take the bucket into the bathroom. I scoop out a cup of the bucket water that way I can ensure it's the same temp as new water. I dumped the bucket. I feel the cup's water to match it with the new water I poured in. Once I'm done, I put water conditioner in the bucket before pouring all the new water into the tank. I try to avoid directly pouring water on the fish but they're curious and really want to come up to it which makes it a little more difficult. After that, I realized the tank still wasn't filled all the way. So, I get more water (which was also conditioned) to pour in. There was a fish near, which I thought at first was a plant or something because she wasn't moving. I checked on her with a net, still alive but she nosedived into the substrate when I let her go. She's the only fish affected. And that's where I walked away to ask for advice on this post. I'm really worried for her life right now. Anything I can do to help her?

Make sure the filter is on to circulate the water. This will ensure the temperature is even and the water conditioner is distributed.
Double check the conditioner bottle instructions for use and dosage.

Make sure the filter is on to circulate the water. This will ensure the temperature is even and the water conditioner is distributed.
Double check the conditioner bottle instructions for use and dosage.
I turned it back on. She's swimming sideways, but still moving. I threw away the bottle so I can't recheck the dosage, but I think it's hard to have too much so maybe I should put more in from my other bottle.

cities can increase chlorine levels when they burn out pipes, or switch to chloramine, etc. I use a simple water conditioner that I can safely overdose and always use a bit more than required. But I lost a little corydoras after my 50% water change last night. he was never quite well after an infection last year. If I fish is weak, they are vulnerable

cities can increase chlorine levels when they burn out pipes, or switch to chloramine, etc. I use a simple water conditioner that I can safely overdose and always use a bit more than required. But I lost a little corydoras after my 50% water change last night. he was never quite well after an infection last year. If I fish is weak, they are vulnerable
The sad part is, she's not even that old. I've only had her for a couple months, unless something happened to her at the store that made her weak.

Im using seachem prime, I add 1ml to a 30 litre bottle then fill up with tap water, this way it makes sure the conditioner is fully mixed in with the water, I use my siphon backwards to fill the bottle, big plastic end on the tap, hose in the bottle on the floor, I then stick a second heater in the bottle for a day to heat the water to 28oC (no 2nd guessing), once the heater is out the temp drops quickly, I have a 2nd 30 litre bottle which I then siphon the tank out into, tip it down the loo and use this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09J7TND2K/?tag= to slowly pump the new bottle of water into the tank, I dont switch my filter or heater off, these remain below the water surface whilst doing a water change, if im doing a major water change like 50% then I do switch the heater off, but not the filter.

I suggest plan a day ahead of your water changes and get some large bottles or a bucket with a lid to retain the heat and a 2nd heater.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A couple of things could have happened.

Could the bucket have been used for cleaning between water changes?

Is it cold outside, and is the fresh water full of tiny bubbles?

Or, as suggested above - this is a time of year when cities blast out their pipes to remove scale and biofilm, and if you have the bad luck to do a change when that is on, it's deadly. I lost a tank to that once.

Are the dissolved gasses harmful?
Yes, at too high or too low of a temperature difference from tap to tank....especially nitrogen

Water temperature: Because the partial pressure of a gas changes with temperature, sudden changes in water temperature can cause bubbles to form.3 This is most common when water is added to your system that is significantly warmer or cooler than the current water temperature. Unless you are intentionally changing the temperature in your aquarium, it is critical to always test the water temperature before changes. Match the new water to the current temperature. If you need to adjust your tank or pond temperature, go slowly to avoid stressing the fish.

Update: She passed away. As I feared, she didn't make it as of this morning. I'm fairly confident her gills aren't moving anymore. Rip little fish, died too soon.

A couple of things could have happened.

Could the bucket have been used for cleaning between water changes?

Is it cold outside, and is the fresh water full of tiny bubbles?

Or, as suggested above - this is a time of year when cities blast out their pipes to remove scale and biofilm, and if you have the bad luck to do a change when that is on, it's deadly. I lost a tank to that once.
No, definitely not used for cleaning. I store the bucket in my room. It's surprisingly not reached cold temps where I live. She was the only fish I lost so I don't think it was the last one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back