I need Advice please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

If you put the fish into the new 20 gallon tank you should move the filter media across too so it will help keep the water cleaner. Unfortunately if you do move the filter media across it will transfer the algae across too.

It also depends on how long the filter was turned off when you first moved the old tank. If the filter was off for more than a couple of hours most of the bacteria is probably dead and you might as well start the 20 gallon with new filter media.

If you do use new filter media in the 20 gallon, then pick up a bottle of liquid filter bacteria from the pet shop. There are several brands available and the directions say to add them once a week or whatever, and they help get the filter going faster. I recommend double dosing them each day for the first week fish are in the tank then don't bother using it after that. If there's only a little bit left after the week of daily double dosing then you can pour the last bit in the tank to get rid of it.

Try to add the filter bacteria supplement to the tank near the filter intake.

-------------------------
When you get test kits, get liquid test kits rather than dry paper strip kits. Check the expiry date on the packet. Keep the test kit cool and dry, I kept mine in a plastic icecream bucket with lid in the bottom of the fridge.
*NB* Make sure children and animals can't get the test kits because they have toxic chemicals in them.

If you decide to keep the pink widow tetra, then you can get another tank for it later on and add 10 more of them so there is a nice group of them. In the mean time just keep all the fish together until the 20 gallon settles down,:)

If you do decide to stick with widow tetra get the plain black or white versions. The pink colour is dye that got there by injecting it into the fish. It will fade in time but the process is very stressful for fish.

If you put the fish into the new 20 gallon tank you should move the filter media across too so it will help keep the water cleaner. Unfortunately if you do move the filter media across it will transfer the algae across too.

It also depends on how long the filter was turned off when you first moved the old tank. If the filter was off for more than a couple of hours most of the bacteria is probably dead and you might as well start the 20 gallon with new filter media.

If you do use new filter media in the 20 gallon, then pick up a bottle of liquid filter bacteria from the pet shop. There are several brands available and the directions say to add them once a week or whatever, and they help get the filter going faster. I recommend double dosing them each day for the first week fish are in the tank then don't bother using it after that. If there's only a little bit left after the week of daily double dosing then you can pour the last bit in the tank to get rid of it.

When you get test kits, get liquid test kits rather than dry paper strip kits. Check the expiry date on the packet. Keep the test kit cool and dry, I kept mine in a plastic icecream bucket with lid in the bottom of the fridge.
*NB* Make sure children and animals can't get the test kits because they have toxic chemicals in them.

If you decide to keep the pink widow tetra, then you can get another tank for it later on and add 10 more of them so there is a nice group of them. In the mean time just keep all the fish together until the 20 gallon settles down,:)
Thanks so much!! I'm at the store now thanks for informing me about the liquid test kit before I have the strips in my hand now lol so I will be putting them back and looking for the liquid!! I notice that the staff isn't much help here so I'm very grateful for your help!!

If you do decide to stick with widow tetra get the plain black or white versions. The pink colour is dye that got there by injecting it into the fish. It will fade in time but the process is very stressful for fish.
I'm pretty sure the fish the OP has are not the painted version but the GM version by Glofish
https://shop.glofish.com/products/glofish-tetra-package

These are genetically modified fish containing jellyfish genes to make them glow in the dark. The OP can check this by looking at the fish at night with the tank light off and seeing if the fish glow.

Wow thank you !!

I'm pretty sure the fish the OP has are not the painted version but the GM version by Glofish

These are genetically modified fish containing jellyfish genes to make them glow in the dark. The OP can check this by looking at the fish at night with the tank light off and seeing if the fish glow.
I will be sure to check it tonight!! Thanks

I will be sure to check it tonight!! Thanks
I'm just hoping I can pull this off and all the fish Survive!! I'm getting Attach to them quickly. I know that sounds silly but I'm just an all around animal lover

I was just informed by the fish department guy that if my wagtail fish is pregnant that there is no need to prepare for babies. Because she will probably have them at night and by morning the mother and the other fish will eat them and the chance of any surviving are very slim. Is that true and if so what could I do to prevent it. And when I ask this question to the pet store employee he basically told me not to bother because I was not skilled enough.

You will be fine, just keep the feeding down and do big water changes.

The biggest killer of aquarium fish is too much food and a filter that isn't established. Big regular water changes (done daily if necessary) will help keep the fish healthy while the filter establishes. :)

Livebearers (your platy) can give birth any time during the day or night.

The best thing to do is have lots of plants in the tank (floating plants with long roots like Water Sprite and other plants growing in the gravel). The baby fish (called fry) will automatically head for the plants when born and are quite good at hiding from other fish.

You can buy a breeding net that is basically a plastic frame with a fine mesh net around it. The breeding net hangs on the edge of the tank but inside the tank and the fry can be caught with a small plastic container and transferred into the breeding net. You can put a small plant in the breeding net too and the fry will hang out there.

The fry eat small foods and you can buy some baby fish food for livebearers if you like or just crumble up some normal fish flakes that are fed to the adults. You take a couple of flakes and crush them up into a powder and sprinkle them on the surface for the fry to eat.

Last edited:

The biggest killer of aquarium fish is too much food and a filter that isn't established. Big regular water changes (done daily if necessary) will help keep the fish healthy while the filter establishes. :)

The best thing to do is have lots of plants in the tank (floating plants with long roots like Water Sprite and other plants growing in the gravel). The baby fish (called fry) will automatically head for the plants when born and are quite good at hiding from other fish.

You can buy a breeding net that is basically a plastic frame with a fine mesh net around it. The breeding net hangs on the edge of the tank but inside the tank and the fry can be caught with a small plastic container and transferred into the breeding net. You can put a small plant in the breeding net too and the fry will hang out there.

The fry eat small foods and you can buy some baby fish food for livebearers if you like or just crumble up some normal fish flakes that are fed to the adults. You take a couple of flakes and crush them up into a powder and sprinkle them on the surface for the fry to eat.

That's great!! Thanks so much.

Glofish are NOT genetically modified with jellyfiah genes. This is a common misconception that is used as a selling ploy or advice given by ill educated aquarium employees.

To get the basic facts on Glofish you can visit their website to find the real science behind glofish below is the link to the Glofish patents of Alan Blake and Richard Crockett inventors of Glofish. You will find the only bioluminescent proteins extracted was from coral.

Fact based research is all part of responsible pet ownership.

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/richard-crockett

You will find the only bioluminescent proteins extracted was from coral.
Then the fish being sold by that company were injected with fish or coral genes not jellyfish genes. They are still man made genetic mutations of the original fish.

The first glowing fish were injected with jellyfish genes, and were presumably made by a different company.

It was Dr. Zhiyuan Gong who is the original engineer that extracted the protein from the jellyfish and inserted it into the zebrafish genome this in not the same green in Glofish. These fish were the experiment that would only floresce when toxins were present. This original zebra fish is not the same as the green Glofish we know since our green fish are continuously fluorescent. It was his continued work with the genes of sea coral that had eventually lead to the red and yellow that Alan Blake and Richard Crockett purchased the rights to and led to the development of the green, orange etc.

The fastest way to find the science used to create Glofish is by looking at the patents under Blake and Crocketts name, I have provided the link below and excert from the green, red and yellow patent below. I hope this helps to clear up the misconceptions.

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/richard-crockett

"The present invention relates to the method and use of reef coral fluorescent proteins in making transgenic red, green and yellow fluorescent zebrafish. Preferably, such fluorescent zebrafish are fertile and used to establish a population of transgenic zebrafish and to provide to the ornamental fish industry for the purpose of marketing. Thus, new varieties of ornamental fish of different fluorescence colors from a novel source are developed."

Then the fish being sold by that company were injected with fish or coral genes not jellyfish genes. They are still man made genetic mutations of the original fish.

The first glowing fish were injected with jellyfish genes, and were presumably made by a different company.

It is the original work of Dr. Gong using the jellyfish gene where many of the misconceptions of our Glofish come from. I did not say that they are not transgenic, I was trying to provide proof that the "jellyfish gene" theory is false. The original experiment produced zebrafish that would only floresce in the presence of toxins; Glofish are constantly florescent.

I am not clear as to why being a transgenic ornamental pet fish is a problem if they are not for consumption and pose no threat to our environment.

The California Department of Fish and Game and the Florida Transgenic Aquatic Task Force have determined that the GloFish posed no threat to their states and should be allowed to be sold. A non-government organization called the Center for Food Safety launched a lawsuit against both Yorktown Technologies and the FDA, claiming there was no jurisdiction in deciding if GloFish are safe to be sold in the U.S. The lawsuit regarding genetically modified organisms was dismissed on March 30, 2005.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back