I Need A New Filter That Will Work Well With My Plants

toxik

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 4, 2006
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New Jersey, America
I've got a whisper, it's crappy, the tubes get clogged with algea and everything, the filter itself glogs within days and causes it to slow and overflow.

I bought a magnum 350 but just realized It's either foam and carbon or the micron filter, not both.
So that's going back.

I heard fluvals are noisy and leak, not what I want. But the three compartment filter area, i really like since i have bio balls and stuff from my Aquapod I bought for a marine tank. But the 40 gallon version doesn't pump the gph I want and the next one is like $60 more.


I was going to build a hang on back sump but i don't know if i'm up to glueing the plexi together.

What is everyone else running? Any suggestions on modifying my existing filter to maybe pump more or even better? I wanted to build a skimmer attachment for it to skim the top for tiny leaves and debris.


I just need some suggestions.
 
I've got a whisper, it's crappy, the tubes get clogged with algea and everything, the filter itself glogs within days and causes it to slow and overflow.

I bought a magnum 350 but just realized It's either foam and carbon or the micron filter, not both.
So that's going back.

I heard fluvals are noisy and leak, not what I want. But the three compartment filter area, i really like since i have bio balls and stuff from my Aquapod I bought for a marine tank. But the 40 gallon version doesn't pump the gph I want and the next one is like $60 more.


I was going to build a hang on back sump but i don't know if i'm up to glueing the plexi together.

What is everyone else running? Any suggestions on modifying my existing filter to maybe pump more or even better? I wanted to build a skimmer attachment for it to skim the top for tiny leaves and debris.


I just need some suggestions.
I run two magnum 350s in series one with the micron cartridge the other with the carbon basket that way i dont have to change back and forth. i just hooked a short hose from the outlet on the first to the inlet on the second
 
I've had a Magnum 350 for 8 years now. It does stink that it's either or but you shouldn't need to run carbon unless you are removing medicine from the water. I don't even use the containers/micron filter. I customized mine into a giant biological filter with sponges and crushed coral to harden my water a bit. My water is crystal clear and odorless without carbon or the micron.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top