My 20 gal amazonian biotope project

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
You've really thrown yourself into planning this so carefully, it's awesome to see! I can't wait to see the tank itself and how it grows in and evolves. I'd never heard of those cichlids, they're so beautiful!

I loved the story about your uncle Clyde too, sounds like he was a wonderful man :friends:

Haha thanks =P it's still an evolving project, need to update my list again from my hand scribbled notes. I can't wait till it's all coming together - although the learning is half the fun for me, find it fascinating.

Appreciate the words, and also advice I get from your posts quite often, there's a number of forum members I like to read posts by including yours =P

Unfortunately recent travel expenses have put a slight delay in purchasing biotope stuff, still cycling too so that helps, hoping to get some of the plants soon (maybe including the ludwigia repens - I think they're very pretty and are at least present in parts of the amazon)

You're welcome and thank you.

Yes, Discus is called the king of freshwater aquarium.
After I started keeping Discus, I seem to have less interest with other fish.

Neverthess, other South American and African Cichlids are still beautiful anf interesting to keep.
The fish which you mentioned Dicrossus Filamentosus (Checkerboard Cichlid) is also an interesting and unique fish.
There are too many beautiful and interesting fish around.
Nowadays I also like shrimps very much. Their grazing behaviour is very enjoyable to watch. The way they climb the driftwood, swim and jump are interesting to watch.

By the way, don't forget to rinse your plants and quarantine them if possible. They can also carry parasites with them.

Couldn't agree more regarding QT'ing plants. The first plant I tried ordering online was java moss for a 10 gallon, during QT I found some bladder snails and never used it, so now the snails have a 1 gal. Nano tank to themselves -.-' (attached a pic)

I found some of these websites/info about fish food which are quite useful and interesting.
The attached files are taken from Dr Bassleer website.

New Life Spectrum website:

Since you first mentioned considering higher fat or protein foods as needed to prevent infection it lead to a new avenue of light reading. Went to petsmart for the dogs the other day and found myself reading the backs of their food containers too. Appreciate the additional reading I'll check it out tonight

Attachments

• 20201021_162225.jpg
    20201021_162225.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 64

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back