I know its not a need but should I use uv lighting?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I have an aquaclear 30 but I was wondering if after I got my tank completely cycled after a few months If it would be a good idea to use a small internal uv light filter. It takes the water through a small sponge and through the uv light getting rid of any bad micro organisms such as ich.

So I have an aquaclear 30 but I was wondering if after I got my tank completely cycled after a few months If it would be a good idea to use a small internal uv light filter. It takes the water through a small sponge and through the uv light getting rid of any bad micro organisms such as ich.
Nope, not needed, spend your $ elsewhere...UV filter lights have little to no effect on the ich protozoan...

Nope, not needed, spend your $ elsewhere...UV filter lights have little to no effect on the ich protozoan...
But would the uv light still help with bacteria?

But would the uv light still help with bacteria?
It could kill any beneficial bacteria. It could kill bad bacteria too. But, I have read that the amount of time spent in the uv light is too little to make a significant dent in anything. The water goes through too fast. Hence it is a rather useless piece of kit.

It could kill any beneficial bacteria. It could kill bad bacteria too. But, I have read that the amount of time spent in the uv light is too little to make a significant dent in anything. The water goes through too fast. Hence it is a rather useless piece of kit.
True...they are a gimmick, more than anything....

True...they are a gimmick, more than anything....
Ive read very good reviews with pictures saying that they had a huge algae bloom and in a week after adding it, it was gone. But I dont mind having a little algae cause I will have snails.

Ive read very good reviews with pictures saying that they had a huge algae bloom and in a week after adding it, it was gone. But I dont mind having a little algae cause I will have snails.
Algae is controllable by much simpler means...I've read similar "reviews", but don't buy it...

Hey there,
@Rocky998 The best way to control almost everything in aquarium is waterchange and/or daphnias.
That said, UV is often used to control infections by stopping the spread of micro-organisms from fish or invertebrate to another through the water, and free-floating algae. When operated correctly, free-floating microorganisms. UV will kill them.
Keep in mind that micro-organisms are useful in aquarium.

Last edited:
People like the idea of a UV light, as it penetrates and kills algae. But that light will also penetrate and kill beneficial bacteria.

Er no, 1) as UV bulb is kept in hermetically sealed container, and 2) water doesn't contain beneficial bacterias that are in filter's medias and substrate.
The OP was asking about a filter that contains a UV light....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back