I Just Got 3 Turtles Need Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

new pics with my new better digital camera, I have put some rocks in and bought some rocks in the store to form a cave an a additional baskin place.

These are picture of them taking their sun.

turt1fj4.jpg

turt2hp5.jpg

why are the baby turtles more propense to giving salmonella than the grown up turtles?

I have the same exact turtle you have. They are sliders. They will grow. The biggest I have seen was about 5 inches in size although they may grow bigger. It's best to upgrade their tank as they grow. I find that they love to snack on plants so you may want to keep that in mind and invest in some. Also I was at the petstore recently and found a turtle tank neutralizer made by: Wardley(brand). It looks like a bar shaped in a turtle form and works well in the tank to condition the water, neutralizes acid water and it also includes calcium to prevent shell softness. You should be able to find it at any pet store. Also I would invest in lighting. They love to bask in the light. You could find a good lamp at the pet store also. As for determining the sex of them: male sliders have much longer claws on their front feet than females. As well, the tail of males is longer and thicker. The cloaca is located farther from the body in males, and males also may have a slightly concave (curved inward) plastron.
Best wishes. If you have further questions feel free to ask.
~Oceangoddess~

yeah, I bought one of those turtle like soaps for the water, and in the instructions it said it was supposed to last 1 month in the water, but i has completely dissolved in 1 week! I think it is to expensive to be buying those everyweek.

How odd. Did you read the intructions right? Try the one I told you about. It dissolves immediately after being put in the water. It instantly makes the water safe for the turtles until the next water change for the next month. This one only cost a dollar and some change.

right now I change the water (all of it) every 3 days.

yeah, I bought one of those turtle like soaps for the water, and in the instructions it said it was supposed to last 1 month in the water, but i has completely dissolved in 1 week! I think it is to expensive to be buying those everyweek.

What kind of filtration are you using?
I think when I get an indoor pond i'll just get greater filtration& do partial changes.

You know if you feed your turtles in a seperate container it'll be less mess in their tank.
Thats what I used to do when mine were smaller.
I would put water in a seperate container (like a large tub) & feed them,then when they ate& such they went back in their aquarium. ;)
That's not a MUST though.
It just helps with having a bit less waste.Since they are fairly messy eaters.

Very cute turtles!! :good:

Whats your PH at, the higher the PH the slower the calcium thingy will take to dissolve.

Your PH must be really high then. I would suggest getting it tested. Most pet stores test it for free OR you can buy a kit and test it yourself.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back