I Just Got 3 Turtles Need Advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ladic

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got these 3 turtles

turtlesim9.jpg

The kid that sold them to me at the store didnt seem to know much.

So I want to confirm some of the stuff he told me.

*He said that they only need to have the water changed ever 4-6weeks?

*Feed them Once a Day?

Ok, so far they seem to be happier in the water than climbing the stairs, they have yet go up, is it normal? are they still adapting to a new acquarium?

Also, what temperatures are good for these turtles?

I live on an Apartment and I usually keep my AC on 68 degrees Fareheit. Is that too cold for them? Because I could also put them in the balcony under shade.

I live in South Florida so outsie can get a bit hot, but I guess if I put them under shade and not directly under the sun, it wouldnt be too hot.

But what is the optimal temperature for these animals?

I also notice that they tend to push one another and try to climb over the other, is this normal for them? like aer they playing? or fighting?

How do I tell the Female and Males apart?

okay i dont know much about turtles but dont most have a sun light or something? also what kind are they? i would guess 68 is too cold but im no expert on them

im not sure about the kind? and do these will grow in size or stay and same? and about how long do these live?

Get me a close up of said terrapins and i can tell you. But from the veiw you gave us and the shape of the shell, they don't appear to be turtles. They look like African Spur Thigh Tortoises. I'm not too sure though. I'd like better pictures.

Get me a close up of said terrapins and i can tell you. But from the veiw you gave us and the shape of the shell, they don't appear to be turtles. They look like African Spur Thigh Tortoises. I'm not too sure though. I'd like better pictures.

haha dude :p 1 click is all you need ;)

That enclosure is very poor, you *need* to go and get a proper tank, and set it up properly with decent filtration, lighting, and heating. Changing the water every 4-6weeks was very poor advice. Id say at least 25% weekly, then 50-75% once a month.

They wont stay that small for long, so be ready to get a big tank. i think the rule of thumb was 10 gallons per inch of turtle/terapin?

oh ouch! i was hoping they would stay this size forever :shout:
The kid at the store told me that thing could hold up to 4 turtles.

do u know about how big they might grow too?
And how long will it take them to grow?
I could buy a bigger tank in the future, but Im leaving on a trip in a month for 3 weeks and dont want to buy it until I get back, so the person who takes care of these doesnt have too much trouble.

Here are some closeup pics of the animals, forgive my digital camera it sucks.

top1av1.jpg

top2ts9.jpg

side1qd4.jpg

Ill wait for someone with more experiance to confirm it, but they look to be terrapins. if they are, you'll need a big tank, and soon, as they grow quickly. they wont stay that size, they look to be juveniles. Sorry to burst the bubble! IF im right (emphesis on IF) you'll be upgrading soon, as they will soon outgrow that tub.

3 terrapins, even if they grow to be 3" each, and we allow for 5 gallons per inch, thats a 45 gallon tank. So 3ftx1.5ftx1.5ft would be about right for that calculation. Although, i am sure i have read you need 10 gallons per inch. Can anyone confim this, and the species these are?

Once we know what they are we can tell you all you'll need to know about them, and they equipment/food you'll need :)

I dont know if they have same needs as tortoise, if they do then they need sunlight for there shell, but im not sure since there turtles.

I dont know if they have same needs as tortoise, if they do then they need sunlight for there shell, but im not sure since there turtles.

from the one pic with the head sticking out, I believe those are red eared sliders.

I'd plan on a 55 gallon tank in their early days, and it gets bigger from there to keep them happy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back