🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Which plant should I get!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good floating plant for my 20g fish tank. But I just can't decide on which one to get so I want to let you guys decide. Post your option below and I will try to make them all into a poll and the highest voted one wins.

Water lettuce is good, but the roots shed like craaaazy. My personal favorite is giant salvinia. It's grows a little slower than common salvinias ad looks cooler too

Red root floater, Phyllanthus fluitans. I have this in both my tanks and I regularly (= every couple of weeks) have to throw away handfuls of it.

Red root floater, Phyllanthus fluitans. I have this in both my tanks and I regularly (= every couple of weeks) have to throw away handfuls of it.
I have been wanting to try these in my 29G...do they stand up well to moderate surface agitation? I have 2 HOBs on the tank

I'm trying to find a good floating plant for my 20g fish tank. But I just can't decide on which one to get so I want to let you guys decide. Post your option below and I will try to make them all into a poll and the highest voted one wins.

The first thing we need to know, is the fish species; i.e., is there a specific reason for this or that floating plant. For example, Salvinia was mentioned, and I agree this is a nice floating plant, I have it in one tank...but it is not adequate if the fish are gourami which need more substantial floating plants. Also, shade is usually better with the larger plants, like Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, Frogbit.

And Water Sprite isn't in the poll, and all else considered, it is probably the best floating plant. It is very effective for shade, providing habitat for upper level fish, and water quality.

I have been wanting to try these in my 29G...do they stand up well to moderate surface agitation? I have 2 HOBs on the tank
Most of the water movement in my tanks is just under the surface rather than the surface itself. But you can always make a corral from airline tubing to stop it going where it's not wanted. The plants themselves have smallish leaves similar in size to some species of salvinia (quarter to half inch across) and the roots are not very long at around 1 inch. But unlike salvinia the leaves are not hairy and mine has so far coped very well with condensation dripping on it from the cover glasses. I lost all my salvinia a few years ago during a heatwave (though you'd probably call the upper 20s C/mid 80s F cool ;) )

i
The first thing we need to know, is the fish species; i.e., is there a specific reason for this or that floating plant. For example, Salvinia was mentioned, and I agree this is a nice floating plant, I have it in one tank...but it is not adequate if the fish are gourami which need more substantial floating plants. Also, shade is usually better with the larger plants, like Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, Frogbit.

And Water Sprite isn't in the poll, and all else considered, it is probably the best floating plant. It is very effective for shade, providing habitat for upper level fish, and water quality.
6 neons
5 cherry barbs
5 guppies
4 corys

water sprite has been added

Water Sprite is the best because it grows in most tanks and can be planted in the substrate. The other floating plants can be temperamental and can't be planted in the substrate.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back