I have some question about my new wood

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello, I finally bought new wood to replace the terrarium wood! I think it is red moor wood so I would like to know how much time does it take to sink because there is one peice that float. Should I boil it? Also I think fungus will start to appear on that type of wood but is it possible it only takes one week? My LFS had some of the wood in a tank and when I came back this week there was no fungus. I am currently letting the peices that were either floating or not in the tank at my LFS in my 10 gallon.

Attachments

• 159144971183790388730.jpg
    159144971183790388730.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • 15914497570271970247908.jpg
    15914497570271970247908.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
Boiling will weaken the wood fibers that hold it together so just rinse it under the tap (or outside with a hose, whichever) and then soak it as you are doing here. It may take a while to become waterlogged so it stays down; sometimes you can wedge it down with rock, etc.

Boiling will weaken the wood fibers that hold it together so just rinse it under the tap (or outside with a hose, whichever) and then soak it as you are doing here. It may take a while to become waterlogged so it stays down; sometimes you can wedge it down with rock, etc.
Ok thank you

I agree. Boiling the wood will break down the wood fibers, hence a shorter lifespan for the wood when its in your tank.

Get a small toothbrush (one that hasn't been used) to clean in the tinny areas.

When you say "fungus', are you referring to the white fluffy/jelly like material that you might see growing on submerged wood? If so, I believe you are talking about bacterial/fungal colonies that commonly grow on newly submerged driftwood (some varieties more than others). I have read that it is perfectly normal, will not harm fish, and will go away in time. I have newly submerged wood in my tank, growing it right now. Boiling the wood will not prevent this growth, as it is due to bacteria/spores in the air or already present in the water. Boiling driftwood is not advisable, as has already been mentioned and explained... I soaked my wood in a large bucket for about a week before putting it in my tank and my wood sank nicely. Soaking it also helped to remove some of the tannins so it didn't stain the tank water brown... There are still some tannins in my tank from the wood, as it is a light tea color, but I like that look and it is actually healthy for the fish. I have read that some fish, shrimp and snails like to snack on the white stuff growing on driftwood and can make short work of it. I don't have any fish yet so we will see...I also heard it will go away on its own as well.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back