I Have Lost Every Fish In My 10x3x3

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

OMG, I'm so sorry that happend scott. That so really really sucks.

Doris,
That's why a lot of people choose to run sumps on their system. He would've had the heater down there *preventing perhaps* the catastrophe. If I remember reading right, he did have a sump but that broke. That's why he put those items in the main tank. If that stuff concerns you and you don't have the option of using a sump, then don't put in fish that have the potential to chew on power cords :good: Problem solved doris :)

Gutted for you Scott..a lovely collection to lose, never mind expense!!!
Chin up but..now all the fun of hunting round to re stock but...good luck in the future mate
If not adding another sump, try siliconing any cables to the glass before filling up..this offers them some protection from nosey fish then

Scott, sorry I diidn't get back to you right away, rock should still have water and heat to keep it live while you're going through the rough process.

ski it has water and heat and power heads and two externals filters and a protine skimmer and a tmc 400 steriliser on it

what i do is i have 2 large water containers every 3 days i clean the old water container and put new saltwater and trancefer the rock to the clean saltwater and add the equitment the have there own heaters then i clean the olther one out and let it settle for 3 days and put the liv rock back in and so on

hi seffie

its not filled up yet stil in garage the sump is coming soon

regardes scott

:crazy: I think i would have hada nervous breakdown there and then!

I am so so so SO sorry this happened to you! Happened to a customer recently, lost his entire 8ft tanks worth of corals and fish, the only surivor of filters shutting down whilst he was away (and wife not noticing) was a cleaner wrasse! He lost his Moorish Idol that he'd kept and had feeding well for well over a year.

Its the cost of the fish as well that is making me feel a bit sickened, i mean... obviously they were pets to you but!!..

One black tank alone is about £350 for a small one! Let alone 2 of them, the emperor, the triggers, the Chevron!! AHHHH :crazy:

He lost his Moorish Idol that he'd kept and had feeding well for well over a year.

Now that would have broken my heart

Seffie x

:fish:

ps what if the water is already in?

So what would you have used? underwater epoxy?

Kj, just trying to decide if I should buy the adorable Niger trigger i saw at lfs - but i have heater cables and my polario cable in the tank - so underwater expoxy would do the job?

Seffie x

:fish:

Seffie, underwater epoxy would stick the cable to the wall of the aquarium. However with the silicon method you would cover the entire cable with silicon.

Silicon would be harder for the trigger to bite through, but he would not be able to get his mouth around the cable either.

I left a couple of suggestions for you in your Journal. Ben thought one was a good idea.

I really am watching with interest to see how you get on with this, a trigger may make it into my 6ft after all. But then I am planning on using the Vortech which is wireless and I have a sump, so would not need to worry about wires. Just how you get on with it in a reef setting and with your other fish.

We seem to have very similar tastes in fish.

I have to say, i am sooooo not a fan of triggers, personally... its their attitudes and aggressiveness and pure out and out bolshy behaviours that make them soooo antisocial, same as i really not a fan of Malawi Cichlids, however i can sell them really easily because they are stunning fish in the right environment!

We mainly sell Niger Triggers, Picasso Triggers and the absolutely stunning Clown Triggers, all of them complete gits but will hand feed, easy to look after in the right tank, hardy and a great display fish...

I do get sick of people coming into the shop wanting 'reef safe' triggers and insisting that the Niger and Pink Tails are reef safe just because they read so online, I go by the rule of... Triggers are NOT reefsafe until they have been kept with corals and not touched them, and even then i wouldnt completely trust them... Also, would say a LAST fish to add to the tank.

We added a Niger to our reef display tank, he was meant to be the last fish but a customer brought back a fully grown mimic tang that was being a bit of a terror so it got put in, within five minutes it had stripped all the fins off the tang and it took us hours to break down the tank to get the devil out, we got the tang out first and the little stunner grew his fins back within the week with some melafix. The trigger stayed a little longer...

You can never tell, this trigger was proven reef safe when we got him from a customer who had kept him in reef tanks for years with all sorts of fish and no problems, we had him for months with no problems then he started chewing EVERYTHING, rock, corals, fish, glass!! The last straw was when we saw him even looking at the cables and he was outta there! He sold within 24 hours to a tank with a sump and no cables, aparently he has now taken to chewing spraybars, inlet and outlet pipe anything he can chew on.

I dont think even fixing cables to side of tank will help, triggers biting cable will still potentially happen, if anything id worry it made it easier for them to get hold of it and CHOMP, i would think more of getting something like pond hoze or filter hose and fitting it OVER the cable so if it gets bitten, it wont effect the cable but with regular checks, you'd notice if it was being chewed.

I dont think even fixing cables to side of tank will help, triggers biting cable will still potentially happen, if anything id worry it made it easier for them to get hold of it and CHOMP, i would think more of getting something like pond hoze or filter hose and fitting it OVER the cable so if it gets bitten, it wont effect the cable but with regular checks, you'd notice if it was being chewed.

Thats why in Seffies journal I suggested cable trunking, would work well if it is PVC. I would still be wary of softer hosing, I saw how big the teeth get when swimming with them in the red sea. They are huge, and would probably make short work of the softer hosing.

Most reactions

Back