Help identify these fish from photos I took

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Freedom

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All! I do not have any aquariums at this time. Was in a restaurant up in Hampton Beach, NH, USA this afternoon; they have a gorgeous reef tank! I only recognized a few of the inhabitants, so I took photos. Hope you won't mind making suggestions as to what they are.

I turned off my flash so I didn't spook any of them. The tank is open for viewing on both sides. My camera is new, only had it 2 weeks, still learning all the settings.

This one is a Yellow Tang. I knew that.
P1000191 (Small).JPG

Who is that w/ the Tang? Fox Face Butterly Fish or ??? For reference: This is Photo 2
P1000192 (Small).JPG

This is Photo 3. A yellow tailed something or other. And the 2 silver fish that were in there; they were much smaller than most of the other inhabitants.
P1000195 (Small).JPG

This is Photo 4. I knew these were clown fish. Looks like the brighter one (there were 2 of those) is false percula and the deep red one seen here on the right, is a captive bred percula.

P1000196 (Small).JPG

Photo 5. I was fascinated with this one. The tank has a black light as a part of its set up (I think,) and several of the inhabitants glowed in the dark. I've search online and this is a Banner Cardinal. All those dots glowed brightly when this fish swam into a darker area.
P1000212 (Small).JPG

Photo 6. What is this one?!! That is NOT an 'eye,' but part of the markings, and closer to the rear of the fish than it is to the head. This fellow remained in one small area of the tank the entire hour + I was there. Very shy and hard to get a pic of it.
P1000214 (Small).JPG

I'll put a few more in the next post.

2. Looks like a fox race to me too, was it more yellow in person though?
3. Blue hippo tang and looks like a damsel to me, perhaps a bright eye damsel?
6. Ah, likely my favourite salty. A Marine betta. One of my bucket list fish!

Photo 7. A better image of the 2 in photo 2 above. Yellow tang and . . . ????
P1000219 (Small).JPG

I also took some pics of the flora, in case anyone is interested. I'm telling you, I was just so impressed with this tank! I only ever kept fresh water, and I know salt water / marine / coral / reef tanks are a whole different thing. This one was super, IMO.

Photo 8. Round thing which looked to ME like a sea urchin!
P1000197 (Small).JPG

Photo 10. Flora image.
P1000199 (Small).JPG

Photo 11. Another plant life image . . . a mushroom like thing.
P1000200 (Small).JPG

And finally, photo 12. There was one fish I just could NOT get a pic of it. Even w/ flash turned off, my camera would pop a red light before taking the shot with no flash. And it spooked this one fish every time. Searching online, I think it was a Fishers Angelfish. The markings were stunning! AND the purple lips were distinct and detailed. Anyway here are a few photos (all as 'photo 12' for reference, and you can see I just could NOT get this fish's pic no matter what I tried.
P1000205 (Small).JPG

P1000217 (Small).JPG
P1000221 (Small).JPG
P1000227 (Small).JPG

Well, there you have it. Any info re the ones I can't identify much appreciated. I may return another day to see if Miss Purple Lips is a bit more friendly. I'm telling you, that fish has marking that are unbelievable!

Yes that is IT!! Photo 6, a Marine betta! WOW, will read up on it, just for my own knowledge. Thanks!

And that is the blue hippo tang too, great.

Bright eye damsel (what I called the small silver fish, lol). Um, maybe. The pics I see online (Google image for the name you give me) have a yellow tail; I didn't notice that. Now I WILL have to return! lol

Marine bettas are wonderful, I really hope to get one someday!

Yeah, not confident on the bright eye, but I’m fairly certain it’s a damsel. You definitely should go back lol, that aquairum looks amazing!

yellow tang

fox face or rabbit fish (there's a few species that look similar)

regal blue tank (has yellow tail), aka Dory from finding nemo. The 2 small blue fish on right are blue chromis, which are a schooling fish that need to be kept in groups.

The clownfish/ anemonefish is Amphiprion ocellaris. They look very similar to Amphiprion percula (aka Nemo) but they come from different areas. A. ocellaris comes from the Indian Ocean, northern and western parts of Australia and into Indonesia. A. percula comes from the Pacific Ocean on the east coast of Australia (Great Barrrier Reef) and up into New Guinea. A. percula has thicker black lines.

The black & white striped fish with long fins is a Bangaii cardinal fish that should be kept in groups where they breed readily. The males carry the eggs and babies in their mouth (buccal pouch) while the female swims around breeding with other males. the babies are small but look like miniature versions of the adults.

The dark fish with the white spots is a comet or marine betta (Calloplesiops altivelis). They can be difficult to get feeding but usually do well when established.

Photo 8 looks like a sea apple, a type of sea cucumber.

Photo 10 Flora Image, are corallimorphs (the round ones in the middle of the pic), a type of soft coral that come in a range of colours and many luminesce under blue light. On either side of the coral morphs are xenia coral.

Photo 11, round one on bottom half of picture are coral morphs, the long ones at top of pic are xenia.

The orange and blue fish is a coral beauty pygmy angelfish.

-----------------------------
Marine tanks aren't hard to keep. They cost a bit more to set up because you need better lights for corals, but tanks containing fish and shrimp are exactly the same as freshwater. Set the tank up, cycle it, add fish and shrimp, feed, monitor water quality and chemistry, do regular water changes.

yellow tang

fox face or rabbit fish (there's a few species that look similar)

regal blue tank (has yellow tail), aka Dory from finding nemo. The 2 small blue fish on right are blue chromis, which are a schooling fish that need to be kept in groups.

The clownfish/ anemonefish is Amphiprion ocellaris. They look very similar to Amphiprion percula (aka Nemo) but they come from different areas. A. ocellaris comes from the Indian Ocean, northern and western parts of Australia and into Indonesia. A. percula comes from the Pacific Ocean on the east coast of Australia (Great Barrrier Reef) and up into New Guinea. A. percula has thicker black lines.

The black & white striped fish with long fins is a Bangaii cardinal fish that should be kept in groups where they breed readily. The males carry the eggs and babies in their mouth (buccal pouch) while the female swims around breeding with other males. the babies are small but look like miniature versions of the adults.

The dark fish with the white spots is a comet or marine betta (Calloplesiops altivelis). They can be difficult to get feeding but usually do well when established.

Photo 8 looks like a sea apple, a type of sea cucumber.

Photo 10 Flora Image, are corallimorphs (the round ones in the middle of the pic), a type of soft coral that come in a range of colours and many luminesce under blue light. On either side of the coral morphs are xenia coral.

Photo 11, round one on bottom half of picture are coral morphs, the long ones at top of pic are xenia.

The orange and blue fish is a coral beauty pygmy angelfish.

-----------------------------
Marine tanks aren't hard to keep. They cost a bit more to set up because you need better lights for corals, but tanks containing fish and shrimp are exactly the same as freshwater. Set the tank up, cycle it, add fish and shrimp, feed, monitor water quality and chemistry, do regular water changes.

My Bangai Cardinals (I had two) bred and the male held eggs for so long. He doesn't eat for over a week!

It is hard to tell what the purple one is. I first thought it might be a dwarf flame angel, but they don't really have purple on them.

Possibly a royal gramma, but again I can't see a good side shot.

-Tyler

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back