I Have An Empty Tank!

katykaye

Fish Crazy
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
203
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Wiltshire UK
I have a 64L tank ready for use but empty of fish.

I would love to keep cichlids but know absolutely nothing about them and am not sure my tank is big enough anyway. I am *thinking* (which means will be doing) about upsizing my community tank to 300L+ in the very near future.

I like discus - are they maybe an option?

I have a betta tank and a community set up already and would really like to go for something eye catching. So any Ideas from you guys would be very welcome.
 
Is this the pets at home black fishbox?
 
Defo's no Discus as for chichlids and for that size of tank i would only reccommend Apisto, Agassi'z, Yellow Dwarf, Ram's etc

~betta_246
 
A tank's a tank, I wouldn't worry about where you got it from, It's more important what you put in it and what equipment you use. What kind of cichlids are you thinking of? Lake takangans, dwarf cichlids? there's loads of options. If you want something a bit more challenging than the average community you could do dwarf cichlids like a trio of apistogramma or pair of rams and try and get them to breed. Put some slower shoaling fish like pencil or hatchet fish in to give the cichlids more confidence and you're good to go.
 
I have one of these with curved corners (altough generally rectangle in shape) . Just to warn you mine has just had the plastic holding the lightswitch in place snap after 6 months. I believe this is because the rubber water proofing cap makes it so tough to turn on and off that it cant withstand the pressure. When I went back to P@H their display tank had failed in the same way suggesting a general design fault. They said all I could do was buy a new tank, swap everything over and then return the original tank for a refund....

I have contacted interpet who made the tank and they have said they are shortly getting some new lids sent over and will provide a replacement asap (you cant change the small plastic part without unwiring all the lighting...)

I intend to remove the rubber seal round the switch once I get the new lid to try and stop this happening again. As I see it if you have the lid open you cant drip water into it.

Just thought I would mention it before you get fish settled in :rolleyes:
 
I have one of these with curved corners (altough generally rectangle in shape) . Just to warn you mine has just had the plastic holding the lightswitch in place snap after 6 months. I believe this is because the rubber water proofing cap makes it so tough to turn on and off that it cant withstand the pressure. When I went back to P@H their display tank had failed in the same way suggesting a general design fault. They said all I could do was buy a new tank, swap everything over and then return the original tank for a refund....

I have contacted interpet who made the tank and they have said they are shortly getting some new lids sent over and will provide a replacement asap (you cant change the small plastic part without unwiring all the lighting...)

I intend to remove the rubber seal round the switch once I get the new lid to try and stop this happening again. As I see it if you have the lid open you cant drip water into it.

Just thought I would mention it before you get fish settled in :rolleyes:


Thanks for that heads up :)

I have had the tank for a year now with no problems as yet - but at least now I will know what to do if it does break :good:
 
Slight aside here, but on the light thing, mine also has one of those rubber switches which is hard to move. I have it permanently on run through a timer (cost a few quid) That way I don't have to remember to switch it on and off and there's no wear on the switch :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top