I Gots Me An 80g

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

J4MES

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi all

well i finally got a pond in and its around 80g

i was thinking the best fish would be just a few goldfish?

shed some light?

Cheers

J4MES

goldfish are the best option.
i would make sure the ponf is cycled, and stable then go buy 3-4 medium goldfish and float the bag in the water then release them, remember they still need feeding. start with easy goldfish, then in a few years when you have the perfect pond, maybe think about other coldwater fish suitable for your pond. any pictures

80g pond :crazy:

uum, don't wanna put you down but that will probably freeze (completely) in winter and kill everything - it's pretty tiny for a pond and probably to small for a large goldy (width wize)

I also dont wanna be rude but whats the point of an 80 g pond? Im sure it looks great but if you are doing it for the fish isnt it kinda unpracticle in terms of stocking capacity. I am sure you know what you are doing and each to their own its just IMO if your gonna get a pond go big or go home. Congrats on your new pond.

Drew

whats wrong with an 80g pond can i ask. i cant afford a huge massive super duper pond like you gys i have. im 12 years old and living on a fiver a week. im only wanting a couple of goldfish and this is PLENTY big enough for 3 or 4. (20g each)

J4MES

I personaly think a couple of goldfish is fine for the that pond,And if the pond does freze up over winter.You could buy a cheap tank for them to go in through winter.

How deep is it? Is it filtered? Need answers to this before helping you. If theres no filter then i suggest just one fish as it will take a lot of oxygen from the water. On unfiltered ponds the water will go stagnant quickly so will need water changes more frequently. If you have it filtered then no more than 3 goldies and these may need thinning out if they survive the winter. To make sure they do get through the winter the pond should be around 3 foot at the deepest part.
I dont know about adding other types of fish.

here is a crap pic

CRIM0035.jpg

J4MES

Also a good idea would be to put a ball or something like that in the water, because as the wind blows on it (moving it) or the filter current moves it around it stops a layer of ice forming on the water.

Id get just two gold fish to behonest, they grow according to the size of there habbitat (reaching a max size obviously) and it doesnt look fitlered or anything like that so you would have to clean it alot more often according to the number of fish in it.

As it is, it will go stagnant pretty quick

As black angel said the leaves and lack of water movement/filtration it will go stagnent.If the pond is under 2ft deep you will probably get wipe outs each winter leaving all your fish dead.Don't mean to be an annoyence but thats how it is.Also the ball idea is a good one, but once it gets real freezing you could have up to 4 inches of ice!Our big pond froze over not last year or the one before but 2 times before that so much we could all walk on it (dad, me and brother!).Biggest goldfish we have is about 12 inches and around 5 years old I think.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back