I got snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

iobre8ks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My mom was looking in my tank one day and noticed some white little specs on the walls so she called me to tell me that she had found this. I new right away that i had a snail in the tanke unknown kind. She then found the snail the next day eating algea off of the back of the tank (i have a magnet algea scrubber and since this is a 125 gallon tank i can't reach the back to clean off the algea. I was think that maybe i could move the snails to an empty ten gallon tank i have and feed them shrimp pellets then breed them and sell them. Do you think that this would be a good idea or not i really have no clue as to what it even looks like since my parents are divorced and the tank is at my moms and i live at my dads.

depends on the type of snails

if they're pest snails (which is most likely the case) then don't bother moving them to breed them, they will breed well enough in your tank if you don't have loaches to eat them

If they're malaysian trumper snails or apple snails then it might be worth it

apple snails are good algea eaters and look pretty. MTS are also pretty and a must if you have a sand substrate.

their shell are dark brown and gold they are still really small less than a cm in diameter. I have my tank right next to a window and the part of the tank that crosses the window is covered in algea. it is really ugly but the snails love it and i need to get an algea eater but not a pleco. I also want to get three to four clown loaches. I am not a big fan of snails. they came in on plants.

looks like an apple snail to me. How long before the eggs hatch since they were laid?

iobre8ks said:
it looks more like theese

Brown Pomacea canaliculata snail.
Yellow Pomacea canaliculata snail.

http://www.applesnail.net/

[EDIT: From your first post I thought the eggs were under water? If so they are not pomacea species as both lay eggs above the water line.]

Between 2 and 4 weeks depending on heat and humidity in your hood, slower or not at all if thier is little heat and humidity. My pomacea canaliculata and bridgisii lay eggs often, have six batches in the hood at the moment and I swear my SAP's are licking thier lips :lol:

Jon

that isn't them then i have no idea what kind they are the eggs are under water but i dunno.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back