I FINALLY GOT THE “API” MASTER TEST KIT!!!!!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I agree totally with seangee (post #15). Success in this hobby will only come if one accepts that it is a scientific hobby and the aquarist must understand the basics, and then build on that knowledge. We are bombarded by ads in magazines, and staff in stores, into buying so many products to prevent this or treat that...and 90% of them are useless and will cause more harm to the fish than they benefit anyway.

I rarely test my tank water because after keeping the record of each test over a period of four or five years (not regular tests, just periodic to see what was changing, if anything) I determined that each tank had its own pH, and they remained identical for each test. Ammonia and nitrite have never tested above zero, and I only do these now if I see something is clearly wrong such as fish deaths obviously not just old age related; knowing they are still zero eliminates some possibles and allows me to concentrate on the more probable. Nitrate is always in the 0 to 5 ppm range, so I haven't tested nitrate for two or three years now; if I did I know it would be identical. But as there is nothing unusual occurring, there is no incentive to test anyway.

It is the initial beginning stage where trouble can occur, and at this period it is wise to get used to testing what matters. As the aquarium establishes over several months, and provided the fish load is not beyond the capacity of the system to begin with, and the fish species are compatible (not only temperament but all environmental aspects) and in adequate numbers (shoaling species, etc), and regular once a week significant water changes are routine...things will be stable and problem-free.

I mainly use my test kit in diagnosis of an ill fish now. If I find a fish laying at bottom of tank or such, I will eliminate water issues first before moving forward to other things. I find I need it more in tanks with larger fish such as goldfish to be sure Cycle is keeping up with bio load.

But as there is nothing unusual occurring, there is no incentive to test anyway.
At the risk of being branded a heretic this is exactly why I think there is a place for test strips.
I don't expect anything to change and it takes me one minute once a month to confirm that this is the case. A bit like the lights on the dashboard of my car. I have no interest in knowing the exact coolant temp or oil pressure, but I have red lights that tell me if something needs attention and strips are good enough for this. They are my dashboard lights.

I am not suggesting that everyone rushes out and buys strips. I do have liquid tests too. The reason for this post is simply that it is easy for a new or younger member joining a forum to be led to believe that somehow they are not caring for their fish properly if they don't have the best test equipment. If money is tight it is far better used on high quality food than on expensive test kits. And your fish will appreciate regular water changes far more than regular water tests :fish:

At the risk of being branded a heretic this is exactly why I think there is a place for test strips.
I don't expect anything to change and it takes me one minute once a month to confirm that this is the case. A bit like the lights on the dashboard of my car. I have no interest in knowing the exact coolant temp or oil pressure, but I have red lights that tell me if something needs attention and strips are good enough for this. They are my dashboard lights.

I am not suggesting that everyone rushes out and buys strips. I do have liquid tests too. The reason for this post is simply that it is easy for a new or younger member joining a forum to be led to believe that somehow they are not caring for their fish properly if they don't have the best test equipment. If money is tight it is far better used on high quality food than on expensive test kits. And your fish will appreciate regular water changes far more than regular water tests :fish:
You do know that those lights on the dashboard are called “idiot lights”, don’t you? The name came from “idiots” that were too stupid to read the gauges. I’m sorry but just couldn’t resist. :rofl:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back