I.e. Vs Firefox

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Doesn't Opera cost money, or at least there's a version that you have to pay for?

it costs money on ds I think
Just had a quick look on the Opera website and it is free :nod: you can pay for "premium support" if you want :huh:

There is also a mini mobile version for wap phones, I may try them both when I get time :dunno:

Arfie
Well I've done it, I've been using Opera for a couple of months now and it's pretty good :nod: It does however have one of the bugs that i suffered with Firefox, in that far too many pages just "hang" for no apparent reason which I just don't get in IE. It has tabs, a few searchbars, built in RSS, built in email/newsreader, built in IRC chat and a download manager. If it would just stop hanging, I'd be thrilled with it. It was the most secure browser out there according to Secunia :)

I've also loaded the mini version onto my old Nokia mobile phone and its brilliant compared to using standard WAP, google searches are far better and faster too and you can access normal web pages.

Arfie

I only use FF and have never really had any problems.

Firefox was created/written by the same people who open source some editions of linux, therefore it has been made to give everyone a free web browser that doesn't log your every move - or leave you open to potential hackers [ie].

Opera started to charge for a full version while it was being formed, but I think you can easily get hold of a free copy these days.

I don't like anything Microsoft related - and as soon as I have figured out the terminal commands, I'm switching to linux [ubuntu].

Paul.

Got both, love FF, lots of cool features and couldn't live without the search engine bar where you can type in a word and then choose where to search, including google, amazon, IMDB etc etc. The popup blocker is fab too. :)

I don't like anything Microsoft related - and as soon as I have figured out the terminal commands, I'm switching to linux [ubuntu].
Dual boot and learn as you go. I did and I have loved it (though made the mistake of trying to start on 64 bit Ubuntu which is still very much developmental). Dapper Drake Ubuntu seems to work fantastic for me, and I have just set up a server for file (and possibly web) hosting inside 6 man hours. Dread to think how long that would have been on M$.

I was thinking of partitioning the drive and running both, I was just a bit concerned about the different file systems and whether or not you could access ntfs and linux files through both Operating systems?

I loved ubuntu [loaded it up yesterday but couldn't figure 'Wine' out to install macromedia apps, which i'm using atm for the TFF newsletter] so switched back to windows, for now.

Paul.

Dapper Drake Ubuntu seems to work fantastic for me, and I have just set up a server for file (and possibly web) hosting inside 6 man hours. Dread to think how long that would have been on M$.
Oddly enough I was trying to load Ubuntu onto an old machine this weekend to use as a file server, but the damned thing kept freezing so after 2 hours I pulled the plug :X

Assuming you can get it loaded on :rolleyes: , is it easy enough to configure to allow access from M$ machines?

Arfie

Arfie> Access from M$ machines is controlled through Samba, though I haven't booted to M$ for about 6-8 weeks, so I have had no need to use it yet.

I must admit I had some trouble with getting the installation to work, and I did end up wandering off and setting up a full refugium on my reef tank to let any failing processes time out. Eventually it all came together. It cried about the security updates, but updated everything upon installation completion.

Paul> Ubuntu can easily read NTFS and writing is alittle more difficult. The standard way is to have 3 partitions (not including the swap section). Have one in NTFS for M$, one in Ext3 for Ubuntu, and a large chunk in FAT32 which both Ubuntu and M$ can read and write to.

On my server I have the music and pictures sections in FAT32 just in case I ever need to look in from a M$ machine.

The big annoyance is teh lack of support from Macromedia for linux. The normaly way around this is to use the windows FF through WINE and then get flash and shockwave on that. I haven't got around to doing that, but will before long (looking at recompiling the kernel to take full advantage of a new keyboard first).

However, we digress, this thread is meant to be about how open source browsers that use industry standards and are more secure are better to use than second rate pap forced on us by a company I wouldn't trust to get me drunk in a brewery.

Samba = godlike. Heres how good it is:

If you load samba at startup (theres a checkbox option when you run samba) then it will do the following:

Check all ETH0 devices for networks
Register the networks through Samba
Get access to the networks where possible
Configure both Linux and MS TCP/IP
Auto-configure a bridge to crossover from linux to MS TCP/IP

you can use your windows login through linux and windows cant tell the difference. I love it. Its how everything should work and then its been chocolate coated.

Basically, its as autoconfiguring as Windows XP, only you can still take control if you need to. In Windows your networks are pretty tied down. In Linux, your networks are a big ball of settings that thankfully know exactly how to set themselves. Ive actually had more sucess in networking windows machines through a linux server than I have by networking them through a windows server, and Ive got an MCSE (like a few thousand 12 year olds).

Most reactions

Back