I Dont Know If My Platys Are Pregnant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hlc137

Reaction score
Image (2).jpg
Hi I dont know if anyone could help me....  I have had platys for 6/8 weeks now and i was unsure of gender when i brought them but i have later found out they are 2 female and 2 male. I am unsure if my 2 females are pregnant now, they have a black spot inside them and there stomach seems to have dropped. I have been away on holiday and when i got back i noticed this i have placed them in a breeding tank just in case I have attached a picture of both fish.. please could someone tell me if they are and details on what to do next or if i should keep them in the small hatchery! Thanks

quinn.PNG

Image (1).jpg

Image (2).jpg

I am no livebearer expert but they do have the 'gravid' spot as you said, the dark patch but they look nowhere near ready to give birth so I would release them for the time being other wise you can risk over stressing them! When they are close to dropping their stomachs square off and the gravid spot also squares off if I'm right in saying? Will need validation on this information ;)
Hopefully another member can come along and give more details on gestation time etc.

If they have been with a male during the preceding 2 or 3 months!!... Chances are that they WILL be pregnant!...... They deliver at approximately 28 day intervals.... and... at least 3 or 4 times after impregnation by  a male.....

Ludwig Venter said:
If they have been with a male during the preceding 2 or 3 months!!... Chances are that they WILL be pregnant!......

Damn those hussys! 

They could be pregnant of course. Livebearers always are :) But they are not big enough to be anywhere near giving birth.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back