I Can't Believe It! :o

Eines

Fish Crazy
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
258
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Germany
I was in the petstore just now looking at the viewing tank (the fish that aren't for sale) and I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw a giant Chinese (or Siamese, I don't know) algae eater suddenly move at the back of the aquarium! I hadn't even noticed him because he camoflauged into the background and there I was looking at some tiny little tetras when that thing started moving! He must've been like the size of my forearm. I see why people suggest not to get them. :X I just couldn't stop thinking about how I would hate to have to stick my arm in there. lol. I know they're harmless, it's just my first time seeing a full grown sae, so I'm totally amazed. Does anyone actually own a fully grown one?
 
Why on earth would you be afraid to stick your arm in there? Complete nonsense...

I've not owned, but worked in a LFS where we had full-grown ones. Just as bloody hard to catch as the young ones. They're pretty useless when they're old, as they HARDLY eat any algae and are super-aggressive.
 
Lol, no, I wasn't actually scared, I know they're harmless, but their sheer size is freaky when you first see them!
 
Yep they get huge and nasty, an LFS nr me has some huge GCAE's and they are lovely but nasty
 
Yeah! I got to see that guy chase a few smaller fish and corys around the tank a bit. He was beautiful, but mean!
 
we've got a gold one in our 6 footer must be at least 7inches long and fat, never once been aggressive.

lucky i guess
 
gold? hmm...must be beautiful!


The gold ones are very attractive, i used to have one myself but it died during a long power-cut, the gold ones aren't actually gold but rather vary in shades of pale yellow/skin/orange/cream colors. They can actually vary quite a lot in coloring and patterning, like these unusual specimens;

http://www.akwafoto.pl/fotoreport/egzotari..._aymonieri2.jpg

http://www.aqualogo.ru/fish_catalog/goods_...s/big/f3717.jpg

http://www.hippocampus-bildarchiv.de/bilde...umbs/X49009.jpg

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myFishIm...w=200&h=200

http://www.akvarko.cz/images/atlasryb/dals...onieri-a1_n.jpg

etc...

If i had a large empty tank to play around with, i would actually be tempted to get a CAE- it is actually possible to work around their temperament problems if you stock the tank very carefully with the right types of fish etc :thumbs: .
 
probably just dpepnds on their individual personality coz in our tank with ours there is really diddy corries all the way to a giant ospheragus gourami which is about the size of a dinner plate and no probs what so ever,

also go a smaller one thats with 4 discuss some clown loaches and a few l numbers
 

Most reactions

Back
Top