fry_forever!
Fish Herder
1) Can you give us some info on the fish when they look healthy and when they are dieing/ dead? (ie: are they floating around, sinking to the bottom, clamped fins, cloudy eyes, grey film over the body, etc). A picture of the fish would also help.
If you are losing fish you shouldn’t add any more until the problem has been solved. Otherwise you will just be wasting your money. If everything has been good for a month or so, then you can start adding new fish. Until then I would wait until we resolve the problem before you invest in new stock.
2) Exactly what fish do you have and which ones are dieing?
Cigarette smoke around the fish bucket is unlikely to cause a problem. However, there could be other contaminants getting into the bucket if it is kept in the garage. Is there a car kept in the garage, what about chemicals, paints, solvents, etc? Anything that has horrible smells/odours could be a problem as some plastics absorb fumes and can release them when soaked with water.
I would find a new home for the bucket or wash it with warm soapy water before using it. Preferably find a new home where it won’t be exposed to car exhaust or anything like that.
The reason I would use warm water rather than hot water to wash out the bucket is because plastics often release chemicals when they get really hot. If you use hot water then it could be causing the plastic to release small amounts of chemical that is getting into the tank. It’s unlikely to be this but could be a possibility.
3) How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
4) Do you gravel clean the tank substrate? If not then this could be a contributing factor. Gravel cleaners are reasonably cheap to buy or you can make your own from a length of hose and a plastic cool drink bottle. They should be used each time you do a water change.
Try not to feed the fish if you have moisturising cream on your hands as it can get onto the food or coverglass (if you have coverglass) and this could be contributing to the problem.
Regarding the "Life-bearer" medication to treat the ich, even though it apparently only treats gill flukes, fish mites, and kills some beneficial bacteria...?
This question is not related to your problem but do you have any more info on this product? I only ask because you mention “fish mites” and I have never heard of them.
Thanks everyone! Will try to get a new bucket, because that bucket is really old and gross. Plus, my friend has used that same bucket for her tank a few times, and her fish are thriving! I used to use it to clean my 20 gallon way back when, and my fish were doing great then as well!
1. There are only a couple fish floating around with their fins clamped, but then they stop, and then they start, stop, start. It's like one minute they're perfectly healthy, and the next they are clinging to life. I tested again, and there was no ammonia in my tank, nor nitrites, and the nitrates have gone down to 20ppm. That's probably going to change soon, though, because that stupid medication I used killed some of my beneficial bacteria. Now my tank is having a bacterial bloom, and it's all cloudy. (At least, I think it's a bacterial bloom...)
2. Mostly my mollies are dying... I just can't seem to keep those guys alive! Also, a few of my guppies are dying, though most of them are a year old already, and are second or third generation. My platies and corys are thriving, actually, and seem to be doing even better than usual, other than the rubbing against the ground, and the fact that they never have babies....
3. I change my 20-25% of my water once a week.
4. Yes, I have a gravel vacuum. I siphon my tanks weekly during each water change. (That's what takes the water out...)
Sorry, don't know much about those gill mites, but I DO know that the second time I used the product, it basically killed most of my fish on-spot, and I had to do an emergency 20% water change, without the siphon, because it was 11:00p.m, and I was exhausted. I also put new carbon into my filter, and added an airstone. Once I added the airstone, my fish started automatically doing better, don't know why they did that quickly. But I hope the extra dissolved oxygen can get rid of the ich once and for all!.......?
Here are the pictures of the airstone in action, and how cloudy my tank is....

(above) My tank is normally crystal clear, but it has turned cloudy once again... *sigh*

(above) Is this enough oxygen to get rid of ich?

(above)
Can cheap airstones make a tank cloudy? Or is it just because I had a loss of beneficial bacteria after I put the airstone in? (because of the disease treater.)
(CLICK ON PICS TO MAKE BIGGER)
Thanks again!








