I am almost about to quit the hobby

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, as you read the title I am thinking about quiting fish keeping, I am exhausted of sleeping with a very noisy filter wich is the fluval c4 (do not ever buy that) and I would need to buy a new one to sleep in peace. This leads me to another problem, money, this hobby is very pricy and I just don't have enough money to buy a new filter and things in general (I also have other priorities). Lastly I find that big aquarium like the 55 gallon that I am talking about brings me more stress than relaxation because of a bunch of problems that I had with it and overall I think I prefer small aquarium because it's easier to take care of. Maybe instead I should get a 5-10 gallon with one betta, just something very simple. Have you ever experienced something similar to this, the same feeling? I am slowly losing my passion

Eh, I have felt that way about the money before. Maybe look into selling your 55g if it’s causing you so much stress?

As for the noisy filter, I would save all of your money to get a much quieter one.

Sorry to hear you’re feeling this way. :/

Maybe a 20 gallon long would be a nice compromise?

Or maybe sell your large aquarium and get a 20 gallon kit (usually doesn't come in long, though). That would probably be your most economical choice.

Good luck.

It is true that the more variables you introduce the harder it is to diagnose and fix problems. Simplifying and going to a smaller size tank and one fish will help lower cost and still keep you engaged. I hope you do not give up.
I won't give up ;) I really think that's what I will do, maybe a small no filter, biotope style aquarium with a betta. It would be very simple but a new thing to explore for me

Eh, I have felt that way about the money before. Maybe look into selling your 55g if it’s causing you so much stress?

As for the noisy filter, I would save all of your money to get a much quieter one.

Sorry to hear you’re feeling this way. :/
Especialy because of covid I lost my job so it's hard.. It's in my plan to sell it, I don't know how to tell it to my parents, I got it not even a year ago for my birthday as I wished and I even bought more fish like 2 months ago so I feel bad... I don't think I will buy a new filter, I will probably sell this aquarium before

I won't give up ;) I really think that's what I will do, maybe a small no filter, biotope style aquarium with a betta. It would be very simple but a new thing to explore for me
If you are going to bypass having a filter, I would strongly recommend Hornwort and a pothos plant on the top of the aquarium. It will help with the ammonia and the nitrates. However, if you get a Veil Tail Betta, then you should look into Anacharis instead of Hornwort. Mine shredded his fins swimming through the Hornwort and @PheonixKingZ recommended Anacharis instead.

Edited to add: You'll need a heavily planted tank for it to succeed.

Maybe a 20 gallon long would be a nice compromise?

Or maybe sell your large aquarium and get a 20 gallon kit (usually doesn't come in long, though). That would probably be your most economical choice.

Good luck.
That would be a good Idea on the economical way but I think I would like to only have one fish (probably a betta) to reduce stress coming from having a lot of fish and also the maintenance.

Especialy because of covid I lost my job so it's hard.. It's in my plan to sell it, I don't know how to tell it to my parents, I got it not even a year ago for my birthday as I wished and I even bought more fish like 2 months ago so I feel bad... I don't think I will buy a new filter, I will probably sell this aquarium before
Ah, that’s bad... have you discussed with them your issues with it? They may understand and be willing to let you go through with it.

It is possible to do a filter less tank, just make sure there are lots of plants. (Anacharis, Java moss, frogbit, etc.) ;)

If you are going to bypass having a filter, I would strongly recommend Hornwort and a pothos plant on the top of the aquarium. It will help with the ammonia and the nitrates. However, if you get a Veil Tail Betta, then you should look into Anacharis instead of Hornwort. Mine shredded his fins swimming through the Hornwort and @PheonixKingZ recommended Anacharis instead.
Thanks, these are good ideas but I think the rotala that I already have would do the trick with my amazon frogbit and anubias nana! :)

I'm preparing a 30 gallon long community tank, and I have a betta in a 10 gallon tank that I purchased as a complete kit that I bought at Petco.
If you just want to keep a betta, , Walmart has some very inexpensive 5 gallon kits if you're willing to go that small.

Ah, that’s bad... have you discussed with them your issues with it? They may understand and be willing to let you go through with it.

It is possible to do a filter less tank, just make sure there are lots of plants. (Anacharis, Java moss, frogbit, etc.) ;)
I have discussed with them about the filter being noisy and they know that this aquarium comes with a bunch of problem, just right now, I have a pearl gourami in a quarantine tank refusing to eat so at least they know that. I think I should wait until the beginning of summer to sell it so that it's been at least a year and that my new corys have settled a little bit to not put too much stress on them.

I know! Aquascape AF really inspired me, he has a bunch of pictures on his instagram of his filterless biotope inspired aquarium, it's beautiful and the fish are doing well!

I'm preparing a 30 gallon long community tank, and I have a betta in a 10 gallon tank that I purchased as a complete kit that I bought at Petco.
If you just want to keep a betta, , Walmart has some very inexpensive 5 gallon kits if you're willing to go that small.
I am willing to go that small (5-10 gallons) but I think that I would get myself a rimless aquarium with the money that I get back from the 55 gallon and maybe without even a filter so a aquarium kit would not be the ideal but thanks, maybe I will change my mind! :)

if you're filter is abnormally noisy and defective, notify the manufacturer and perhaps they will replace it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back