Husband wants a frog.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stacey1990

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I was looking for some advice and opinions.
Me and my husband went to our lfs yesterday to purchase 2 new fish. There was a frog in the tank, labelled underwater frog? I believe it was an African dwarf frog. My husband has now decided he would like one for the tank but I dont really know anything about how to care for them properly.
I have done some online research but was looking for opinions from people on here as to whether it would be a good idea or not.
I currently have a 110 litre tank, 5 platies, 5 harlequin rosbora and 1 gold gourami.
Are these frogs difficult to care for. The man in the lfs wasn't very helpful.
Tia

When you kissed the frog, it will turn into a handsome prince... LOL

If I were you, I will stay away from frog.
There are so many beautiful fish, shrimps, crayfish and crabs for you to choose than keeping a frog ....LOL
Anyway, it's just my preference.

You need more harlys before deciding to add another species, in my opinion.
Some people like frogs, but they prefer a social group so buying two would be better.
They prefer live food, and a largish substrate so they don't swallow it while foraging.
Remove spawn and moults as soon as you can.

Frogs are best kept in their own tank, not with fish.

ADFs are almost blind and find their food by smell. By the time they find where food was, the fish have eaten it all. Frogs can starve to death in fish tanks.
Fish have been known to pick at frogs, and frogs have been known to mistake fish for food.
Frogs cannot handle fish medication.

You could always suggest to your husband that he sets up a small tank for frogs. It would need to be cycled first unless planted. Despite what you may read about them being fed on bloodworm, this should only be a treat. Something like ZooMed Frog and Tadpole Food should be the staple diet.

Hi, I was looking for some advice and opinions.
Me and my husband went to our lfs yesterday to purchase 2 new fish. There was a frog in the tank, labelled underwater frog? I believe it was an African dwarf frog. My husband has now decided he would like one for the tank but I dont really know anything about how to care for them properly.
I have done some online research but was looking for opinions from people on here as to whether it would be a good idea or not.
I currently have a 110 litre tank, 5 platies, 5 harlequin rosbora and 1 gold gourami.
Are these frogs difficult to care for. The man in the lfs wasn't very helpful.
Tia
Per
Frogs are best kept in their own tank, not with fish.

ADFs are almost blind and find their food by smell. By the time they find where food was, the fish have eaten it all. Frogs can starve to death in fish tanks.
Fish have been known to pick at frogs, and frogs have been known to mistake fish for food.
Frogs cannot handle fish medication.

You could always suggest to your husband that he sets up a small tank for frogs. It would need to be cycled first unless planted. Despite what you may read about them being fed on bloodworm, this should only be a treat. Something like ZooMed Frog and Tadpole Food should be the staple diet.

Adding on, when feeding ADF adding a variety to their diet is super important. I feed my two brine shrimp, blood worms, mysis shrimp, and beef heart on occasion. I also would advise getting some long tongs.

I agree with @essjay ADF are best kept in their own tank. I had one many years ago before I knew this and he did not live long. They are not fast eater and have bad eye site and can not compete with most fish.

I had those African Dwarf Frogs once. I liked them. They were fun to watch but they do best in their own space. The more the merrier. They really are comical to watch. But the thing to be careful of is that there is a variety that grows quite large and can push the top off and get out. Don't know the name of them off hand.

Do you mean African clawed frog? They grow much bigger than African dwarf frogs.

They are often mislabelled in shops. The way to tell the difference is that dwarf frogs have webbed front feet while clawed frogs do not. And if they're albinos, they're clawed frogs no matter what the shop label says.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back