Hurt angelfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Biglog

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I found it stuck under a decoration. Is this damage from that or some sort of bacterial infection?

Attachments

• 851FD9E9-3C0D-4403-8872-24E3F87E0B04.jpeg
    851FD9E9-3C0D-4403-8872-24E3F87E0B04.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 46606D8C-4002-44D9-9C57-8AC3C4C39C25.jpeg
    46606D8C-4002-44D9-9C57-8AC3C4C39C25.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 27EE70A1-8F75-4D2F-8EE5-D5BD9FA99C53.jpeg
    27EE70A1-8F75-4D2F-8EE5-D5BD9FA99C53.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 50
  • FDCA46E4-D062-4A94-AC6A-CF824BC431E3.jpeg
    FDCA46E4-D062-4A94-AC6A-CF824BC431E3.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 51
Glad you found the angel before it died! Wonder how it could have gotten stuck! Here are some questions that need answered before I (and likely others) can answer your question.

Tank Size:
Water Parameters (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate):
Tank mates:
Water change schedule:

With this in mind, if I ever have a fix with fin damage/abrasions that do not look too serious and have not become infected etc. I usually dose the tank with Melafix. It's all natural and in my experience greatly increase the speed in which the fish heals.

Glad you found the angel before it died! Wonder how it could have gotten stuck! Here are some questions that need answered before I (and likely others) can answer your question.

Tank Size:
Water Parameters (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate):
Tank mates:
Water change schedule:

With this in mind, if I ever have a fix with fin damage/abrasions that do not look too serious and have not become infected etc. I usually dose the tank with Melafix. It's all natural and in my experience greatly increase the speed in which the fish heals.
29 gallons 0,.25,10 with neon tetras dwarf gourami cories and roseline sharks

How long has your tank been established? The nitrites should be at 0 and can cause serious issues at any concentration. Nitrites can suffocate fish, cause them to be prone to bacterial infections and do all sorts of nasty things to them.

I would do a 50% water change and retest after that.

Based on the information you have provided and the fact that to me, the wounds like superficial - I think your best bet is to purchase Melafix and make sure that once completing the treatment that you do another 50% water change.

How long has your tank been established? The nitrites should be at 0 and can cause serious issues at any concentration. Nitrites can suffocate fish, cause them to be prone to bacterial infections and do all sorts of nasty things to them.

I would do a 50% water change and retest after that.

Based on the information you have provided and the fact that to me, the wounds like superficial - I think your best bet is to purchase Melafix and make sure that once completing the treatment that you do another 50% water change.
A little over a month. They have been dropping so I think my cycle is almost complete. And I’ll look into the Melafix. Can it be used in a community tank?

A little over a month. They have been dropping so I think my cycle is almost complete. And I’ll look into the Melafix. Can it be used in a community tank?
Melafix is safe for all types of fish and invertebrates to my knowledge. It is very dangerous to do a fish in cycle unless done "properly", but fish in cycles are not "proper". I would recommend purchasing a bottle of a in-tank cycle - hopefully the bacteria can tag team with what's already in your tank and complete the cycle.

It's a different conversation for another day, but angelfish are a schooling fish and really need to be in a 55g tank or bigger with 5-8 others.

Hope your fish improves!

Just tested it again today and it’s 0,0,10 for the second day in a row so think it’s finally done. I was looking at the angel some more and it looks like it’s a little bit more beat up than I thought. Looks like about half of both pectoral fins are gone, about 1/3 of the dorsal fin and a piece of the top of the tail fin. It seems to be acting okay but not sure if everything will grow back?

2 angles, 6 neon tetras, 3 roseline sharks, 3 albino cories, 5 otos, 1 dwarf gourami
To me, your tank is crowded.
• Neon tetras would do much better if 12-15 specimen.
• Angels are schooling fishes that need to live in group of minimum 5 and your tank is too small for 5.
• Not sure about "roseline sharks" (Denison barb?) but if you talk about this FISH they are also scolling fishes that should live in group of minimum 6-8.
• Same for Corydoras.
• 5 Otocinclus is correct.
• 1 dwarf gourami is correct.

What do you mean "0,.25,10" ?
pH ?
GH ?
KH ?

Most reactions

Back