As you may have guessed by the title of this post, I have introduced my first fish today!.
Im new to fish keeping and was a little nervous that I might not have cycled the tank properly and end up with poorly fish, but my girlfriends work mate came over today and tested the water and advised me all was ok and to add a few hardy fish!.
Ive added 6 head and tail light tetra/beaconfish and a dalmation mollie and they seem to be enjoying their new home as much as I am watching them happily swimming about!. Im looking to add a few more fish in a week or so.
I was a little worried earlier as a small fibre like substance floated across the tank in front of my eyes. It was about the size of a small flake, a light pinky colour and appeared to have a fibre like structure. I called my girlfriends work mate and he was unsure what it was but suggested it could have been a bit of waste food. Ive removed it and all seems well now.
I was advised to leave the light off for 24 hours and to leave the fish well alone to get used to their new home. Is there anything I should do to help things along?. Im gonna do a partial water change next weekend with my new syphon and insure the water is treated before it is topped up. I will also rinse the filter foam when I change the water.
If anyone can recommend things I can do in the meantime to help things run smoothly I would appreciate it. I guess im a little paranoid as this is all new to me!!.
Thanks for listening and for your help.
Matty.
Im new to fish keeping and was a little nervous that I might not have cycled the tank properly and end up with poorly fish, but my girlfriends work mate came over today and tested the water and advised me all was ok and to add a few hardy fish!.
Ive added 6 head and tail light tetra/beaconfish and a dalmation mollie and they seem to be enjoying their new home as much as I am watching them happily swimming about!. Im looking to add a few more fish in a week or so.
I was a little worried earlier as a small fibre like substance floated across the tank in front of my eyes. It was about the size of a small flake, a light pinky colour and appeared to have a fibre like structure. I called my girlfriends work mate and he was unsure what it was but suggested it could have been a bit of waste food. Ive removed it and all seems well now.
I was advised to leave the light off for 24 hours and to leave the fish well alone to get used to their new home. Is there anything I should do to help things along?. Im gonna do a partial water change next weekend with my new syphon and insure the water is treated before it is topped up. I will also rinse the filter foam when I change the water.
If anyone can recommend things I can do in the meantime to help things run smoothly I would appreciate it. I guess im a little paranoid as this is all new to me!!.
Thanks for listening and for your help.
Matty.







