Hujeta Gar

i have 1 in my tank.

i was sold it as being fine singlally aswell and gets on fine with everyone including my 6" oscar.

he doesn't bother anyone and doesn't get bothered by anyone!!

will take down a lance fish as it falls now and enjoys superworms when he feels like a wrestle and crickets.

Everytime i see these threads i kick myself. My old LFS has 3 of these guys but they were label as rocket Gar and i assumed they got giant. They were only $15 CAN but i could have gotten them for $10 a peice because they were closing! and they were 4-6" big but i passed them up :sad:

the following is a list of fish called gars that aren't really true gars--
rocket gar-Ctenolucius'' hujeta Gar'' characin (Ctenolucius hujeta)south americaSyn.Freshwater Barracuda, Xiphostoma hujeta, Luciocharax insculptus
needle nose gar-Xenocara dolichopterus -
marbled gar-still looking but its not a true gar
maculata gar-Boulengerella maculata (Spotted Pike Characin, Peruvian Gar )
hujeta gar-Ctenolucius'' hujeta Gar'' characin (Ctenolucius hujeta)south america
South American gar-Xenentodon canaila _(ASIA)
gar characin--Ctenolucius'' hujeta Gar'' characin (Ctenolucius hujeta)south america
slant-nosed gar--Ctenolucius'' hujeta Gar'' characin (Ctenolucius hujeta)south america
silver gar -Xenentodon cancila. -(ASIA)
the above is a fine example of common or local names V scientific names
note three fish all have different common names but in fact are the same species-Anne

No prob wrote it for another forum and saved it.you never know when stuff comes in handy lol-Anne

Hujeta gars are really peaceful fish, they are nquisitive by nature and will visually investigate any new item in a tank. They are a worthwhile addition to any tank provided there are no really small tank mates involved.
Personally i love the way the lower teeth jut out above its jaw!

I will however forewarn you of keeping it with any fish that could cause it any damage as this gar will shy away and not defend itself.

They cna be kept with other varities of surface dwelling fish such as AFBs and other varieties of gar without incident

Everytime i see these threads i kick myself. My old LFS has 3 of these guys but they were label as rocket Gar and i assumed they got giant. They were only $15 CAN but i could have gotten them for $10 a peice because they were closing! and they were 4-6" big but i passed them up :sad:
i went to my lfs and saw a freshwater barracuda labeled as rocket gar hes about 5 inches and i couldnt pass him up because liveaquaria had them for 30.00 and he was only 6.99 because they never sold them before and didnt know what it was just assumed it was some gar i bought it before they even got a chance to feed him and he is one of my favorite fish he doesnt bother any of my fish unless i put something under 3 or 4 inches then its chow time

i have 5 in a 150g and they can get to be about a foot to a foot and a half... they are very active fish when kept full and are top swimmers.... they are not very agressive fish... live food works the best for them guppies, rosies, gold fish.... great fish i highly recomend them to everyone

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back