Huapeda, Hydrolycus scomberoids or Payara

raysox

New Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I just bought this fish at a fish store that I go to on a fairly regular basis. They have helped me on something and have usually good knowledge about the fish they have, but unfortunatly they have no clue about this fish. I bought it because i thought it looked really cool with his big fang teeth. It looks really mean. Alot of fun watching it eat feeders. I have tried looking online for anything on it but i dont have alot of knowledge about looking stuff online, still new to the computer thing, but I havent found anything on it yet. Hopefully someone can help me, anything about it would be great. I have a pic of it hopefully u can get a good view of it.
 

Attachments

  • huapeda_3.webp
    huapeda_3.webp
    5.6 KB · Views: 102
  • huapeda_4.webp
    huapeda_4.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 136
I just bought this fish at a fish store that I go to on a fairly regular basis. They have helped me on something and have usually good knowledge about the fish they have, but unfortunatly they have no clue about this fish. I bought it because i thought it looked really cool with his big fang teeth. It looks really mean. Alot of fun watching it eat feeders. I have tried looking online for anything on it but i dont have alot of knowledge about looking stuff online, still new to the computer thing, but I havent found anything on it yet. Hopefully someone can help me, anything about it would be great. I have a pic of it hopefully u can get a good view of it.
that is only crazy looking fish. you mentioned fanged teath, its not a african tiger fish is it?
 
That is a Hydrolycus scomberoids or Payara as is is commonly known.

Grows to about 4 feet in the wild but in captivity rarely grows to more than 10 inches and usually only live 6 months or so at most. They pretty much only eat live feeders unless you are prepared to put a lot of work in the get them onto frozen foods. They need a huge tank and masses of flow, 150 gallons and 6 times an hour filtration would be a minimum starting point.
 
That is a Hydrolycus scomberoids or Payara as is is commonly known.

Grows to about 4 feet in the wild but in captivity rarely grows to more than 10 inches and usually only live 6 months or so at most. They pretty much only eat live feeders unless you are prepared to put a lot of work in the get them onto frozen foods. They need a huge tank and masses of flow, 150 gallons and 6 times an hour filtration would be a minimum starting point.


geez. talk about "why not to buy a fish you dont kno about" lol.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top