How's This For A Community Tank

Ilya

Fishaholic
Joined
May 22, 2007
Messages
536
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Salem, Oregon
I've got a 22 gallon aquarium that is moderately planted and has a good variety of Bogwood. :) It has small round pebble substrate.

Possible Community :

Skunk Loach (to keep the snail population down)
Mystery Snail (they're cool)
And some middle dwelling fish. Need to be interesting and fun to watch. Maybe Hatchet Fish?
Ghost shrimp 8).
 
Hatchet fish are very nice, if memory serves they are a bit like silver dollars, with different mouth...??

You could always put some small cichlids in, I have some small balloon RAMS, their colours are fantastic and also good fun to watch.

Ive never had any luck with shrimp, but I do like them.

I really like skunk loaches, very nice colour. I did get some Yoyo Loaches along time ago, they are nice too and also like snails :)
 
Thank you for reminding me. I love RAMS. I need more hiding spots. Like caves. Do you have any ideas how I could make some?
 
Easy really, buy some largish pebbles from your LFS and place in such a way that you create a small cave in the middle. Other than that, I used to have a small terrocotta plant pot which I buried about 3" in my substrate, it also had a hole in the bottom so the fish could go inside, but also get out the back. It sounds tacky but it looked great. Ive seen them in LFS with it cut in half already which saves you the hassle.

If you use pebbles, I would secure them with something, I used milliput, just so they didnt collapse on my fishies :)

RAMS dont need caves though. My Rams are pretty much around the front / middle of the tank and just spend most of their time displaying to the other rams and generally ramming each other :)

They do like plant cover though, mine seem to love my planted bog wood.

EDIT: Just re-read that bit....what I mean is the plant pot is pot...cut from top to bottom then put on its side, so it looks like a fallen over plant pot but half burried :blush: Think that makes sense now
 
You should read up more on skunk loaches they need to be in groups of at least 5 or more;

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuh...m=skunk%20loach


Due to their activity levels, they probably wouldn't make good tankmates for hatchet fish (who prefer peaceful slow swimming/laid back tankmates), and if this tank isn't cycled, then hatchet fish wouldn't be suitable for the tank, they are VERY sensitive to water quality conditions u'see.
 
Okay. Well, I do have a 22 gallon. Are there any other snail eating fish? I'd like bottom dwellers if skunk loaches don't work. Also, I would like peaceful fish. Plus, my filter creates a current! It's a wet/dry trickle filter :).
 
I suggest you check out your chinese algie eaters - i had a lot of problems with aggression when they got bigger. good luck with your new community! gyillmard
 
I suggest you check out your chinese algie eaters - i had a lot of problems with aggression when they got bigger. good luck with your new community! gyillmard

Ooops Old post didnt realise :|
 

Most reactions

Back
Top