How To Take Bogwood Tannins Out Of The Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i boiled my bog wood for about 3 days till my water was clear also i added salt to help as well i can honestly say i have no problems

carbon does nothing. if your not willing to boil it over n over again the only thing you can do to help it is keep changing the white fine filter wool

Think I might try boiling it, do over 3 days, how many times should I be looking to boil them?

I really wouldn't recommend you boil bogwood; it can make it fall apart or rot. Pour hot water over it and leave it to soak. Change the water every day and the tannins should soon go, though it does depend on the wood; some pieces leach a lot more than others.

carbon does nothing.
really? it seems to work for everyone else who uses it for just this task. perhaps you are using it the wrong way?

I really wouldn't recommend you boil bogwood; it can make it fall apart or rot. Pour hot water over it and leave it to soak. Change the water every day and the tannins should soon go, though it does depend on the wood; some pieces leach a lot more than others.

well said there.
all boiling does, is increase the speed that the wood will degrades.
unless you boil it till the wood falls apart. all boiling will do is remove tannins from the damage wood. and give access to Undamaged wood. which will???????????????? start giving up its tannins.

water change and, if you like adding a carbon filter (I, personally, wouldn't add it to your current filter) coupled with time, is the best way to cope with tannins.
its also worth considering that tannins are, usually, said good for fish. well, there is defiantly nothing bad in there anyway.
I find its gone, to the human eye, after 3-6 months anyway. via water changes.
even without a carbon filter. which is the best way to get rid of tannins. quickly

so the problem is down to aesthetics. if you dont like brown water, and you dont have fish that eat/rasp it. get plastic wood. problem solved!

I currantly have tannins leaking from my wood into the tank, and I quiet like the look it gives the tank. At first I thought it wouldn't be nice but seeing it changed my mind.

Yea, all said and done I quite like it, my Rams and especially my Apistos love it even more! Really helps with their colours.

I currantly have tannins leaking from my wood into the tank, and I quiet like the look it gives the tank. At first I thought it wouldn't be nice but seeing it changed my mind.

+1 here

i boiled my wood... i dont think it got to boiling though, its leaching like mad now... but it looks quite attractive =] so its not so bad

im currently making a new bit of bogwood... its not sunk yet but its in a bucket with salt in it

Thanks for the help, might just let it take it's course, I have noticed my Dwarf Cichlids seem much more vibrant with the tannins in the tank. I'm hoping to get about 9 pieces of bogwood altogether, I have 6 at the moment

I put 3 large bits of bog wood in my tank after soaking for 1 hour :lol:

Use this to clear it up.
SeaChem Purigen
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SeaChem-Purigen-500ml-/230678728792

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back