How To Reduce Cloudy Water From Sand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

if you wash it well, you shouldnt get cloudy water as it very quickly sinks

Yep, Phoenix is quite right.

If the sand is properly washed, you'll get no more than a slight haze in the water.

The trick with washing sand is; when you think it's rinsed enough, do it another two or three times :)

i think the problem i had with sand when i first used it was that i didnt clean it proply although i kept washing it to see if the water looks clear but i gave up

Yes. that'll be your problem! You must never give up on washing sand. Keep going until all you have left in your bucket is sand that you can stir up as much as you want and will all sink while you count to about five.

Agreed, just wash it and wash it and wash it. If your tank water still clouds, just do a few big water changes.

As far as I know you won't harm the fish if you cloud the water from sand, it just looks unsightly.

A really simple way to clean sand; get an empty soda bottle (2L) and fill it most of the way with sand. Put the bottle in your tank until water has filled the remaining space at the top then tip the bottle upside down. What happens now is water is sucked into the bottle which pulls all the dirt to the top while the clean sand falls out onto your aquarium bottom. I have done this with my new tank and also with my dads tank and it worked beautifully both times, both tanks are crystal clear.

You could also put some more filter fiber into your filter to help catch/ trap the particles as they get filtered through.
I recently got some Aqua One Zeopad and trialed it in one of my grow out tanks, the transformation in one night is amazing. Even on other tanks that where clear looking it has made it crystal clear.

are you talking about the wool pad set as i am going to get one of the aquastyle models from aqua one later

A really simple way to clean sand; get an empty soda bottle (2L) and fill it most of the way with sand. Put the bottle in your tank until water has filled the remaining space at the top then tip the bottle upside down. What happens now is water is sucked into the bottle which pulls all the dirt to the top while the clean sand falls out onto your aquarium bottom. I have done this with my new tank and also with my dads tank and it worked beautifully both times, both tanks are crystal clear.

are you talking about this cos this looks like a great way to clean it and i may use this method :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XB0bwtZh8&feature=related

update: so i tried this method with a empty locozade bottle, filled it with sand which took abit of time but i used a jug and filled the bottle up faster. i then filled a bucket of water up and the bottle was a little higher then the bucket so i tilted it and waited for the air bubbles to go. it took about 7 seconds for it to empty but i think that was because the lid looks abit bigger then the one from the vid. FINAL RESULTS: the water looked very clean, it was hard to tell if it was crystal clear cos the bucket was black so it reflected in the water but i could say it was crystal clear. i strird the sand around and it took about 5 seconds to settle which i was happy with. there was a little bit of small stuff floating at the top of the water which i may ask if people have this same thing but i think it was there because i took the bottle out the water a little late cos i didnt know it was empty but i may be guaranteed to sand now.

Thanks serbusfish and others for helping me see the true side of sand :D

my Pleco stirs up the sand when he wizzs round my tank, I think it looks ace and it settles in seconds

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back