How To Move Fish From One Tank To Another

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Whoolzyourdaddy

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question that eventually feels like an algebra problem so bear with me.

I have a 46 gallon bowfront in Rhode island and I'm trying to move it up to Boston (an hour away). I have 7 fish in it, including a 5 year old gourami. In Boston I have a 20 gallon tank with around 40ish fish, (mostly mollies and guppies that continue breeding, and a million snails that clean the tank, and a 10inch 12 year old Pleco.)

What is the easiest way to bring the fish in RI to Boston in an hour long car ride? I have a 5 gallon bucket I can put them in, would that be alright? And the big question: how do I get the 46 gallon tank set up in Boston and put all the fish in the tank without harming them?

Thanks!
Scott

Hello,

I have a question that eventually feels like an algebra problem so bear with me.

I have a 46 gallon bowfront in Rhode island and I'm trying to move it up to Boston (an hour away). I have 7 fish in it, including a 5 year old gourami. In Boston I have a 20 gallon tank with around 40ish fish, (mostly mollies and guppies that continue breeding, and a million snails that clean the tank, and a 10inch 12 year old Pleco.)

What is the easiest way to bring the fish in RI to Boston in an hour long car ride? I have a 5 gallon bucket I can put them in, would that be alright? And the big question: how do I get the 46 gallon tank set up in Boston and put all the fish in the tank without harming them?

Thanks!
Scott

I just moved my fish, though it was a much shorter move. I found that the biggest help was to have a new tank already set up in the final location. Is it possible to set up a new tank in Boston, then sell the 46 gal in RI once it's empty? Or does this all need to be done in one swoop? I set up my new tank, got it running, then a few days later brought over the fish and the filter media. Dropped the old media into the new filter, and done!

The longer the car ride, the more I would consider some sort of styrofoam box or cooler to keep the temp even.

-P

I just moved my fish, though it was a much shorter move. I found that the biggest help was to have a new tank already set up in the final location. Is it possible to set up a new tank in Boston, then sell the 46 gal in RI once it's empty? Or does this all need to be done in one swoop? I set up my new tank, got it running, then a few days later brought over the fish and the filter media. Dropped the old media into the new filter, and done!

The longer the car ride, the more I would consider some sort of styrofoam box or cooler to keep the temp even.

-P

I'd like to keep the big tank since it's nearly impossible to sell it at this point. I could put the 7 fish into the 20 gallon tank until the 46 gallon tank is setup, but I think the gourami won't be happy about it. She's 5 years old and has been the biggest fish in that tank since I got it. Once I put her in the 20 gallon tank she'll be surrounded by fish and I think it would come as a shock.

leave it the way you have.
both me and my brother have moved fish in tanks in places two- three hours away from home.
i would stick the gourami in the bucket, she should be fine for an hour.
i would then find as many empty water jugs or oj jugs i have found work great and take as much water with you, so the gourami is not in shock. once you arrive use as much of that water in the tank as possible and warm it up a bit, before you you put your buddy back in her tank. just remember though she is an old girl so you want to traumatize her as little as possible. i would save tank mates for a week or two before she settles down and acts normal.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back