How to encourage fish to swim around ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I had a couple of firemouth. The male was so dominant that he chased the female into hiding every time she appeard until she died of hunger, perhaps. He also didn't get on well with my other larger fish.
The male was also very shy. He hid behind bogwood for most of the time until feeding, then went back into hiding again.
He was an absolutely gorgeous fish but whats the point? It's like having Miss World in your house but she then disappears into the bathroom and stays there all day.
I found over my period of fishkeeping that if you want movement, if you want flashy displays you have to go small. There are some really colourful fish that can give endless hours of amusement. My current favourite, for flashiness is the silver tip tetra but in another tank I have Asian Rummynose that flash brightly as they chase each other around.
No, my friend, you generally can't make a fish that's secretive and shy, slow moving and mostly in hiding, change its habit.

A lot of cichlids will dig up plants so use something like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thallictroides/ cornuta) and plant it. If it gets dug up, it will grow on the surface too.

@Colin_T already offered one factor--these are lower level fish and they will stay there.

Also, this tank is too small for the cichlids combined. First on the Firemouth:

Compatibility/Temperament: Mildly aggressive, rather peaceful for a cichlid. In its habitat, it can be found in small groups though this is not a true shoaling species. Males establish a territory defined by plants, sticks and branches whether or not they are breeding. Suitable in a small group in a 55g or larger aquarium; other fish must be non-aggressive and can include similar medium peaceful cichlids from Central America (in much larger tanks), medium barbs, larger characins and peaceful substrate fish. Not suitable with small fish. Will become more aggressive when spawning.

And on the convict:

Compatibility/Temperament: This is not a community fish. Best in a species tank; a pair may be kept in a 36-inch (40+ gallon) tank. In much larger tanks (over 6 feet) it may be kept with a few other Central American cichlids that are robust. This species is very aggressive and territorial, and when spawning becomes very violent to all other fish including much larger cichlids.
Agree fully with Byron. The tank seems to be high as well so dimensions are even close to the needed ones.

In the pic some cichlids seem to get cornered allready so probably the fight for dominance allready set in.

A possible way to cure the stark feeling of the aquarium would be to use Exo-Terra reptile hanging Ficus.

I cannot remember the thread on here but @1L19 has used them as a 3D type of decor around the back/sides of his aquarium. I have also used them in aquariums before too. Really nice effect cos they are silk plants that hang 30cm from clear suction cups. They can be overlapped to give great coverage over the naked glass, they give secret hiding spots for fish and when they get messy, just gently take them out and rinse them off.

Several aquatic shops sell them along with the usual eBay etc

They are really different as a background and they sway with the filtration currents too

index.jpg

The fish you are talking about are bottom oriented. That's where their lives happen, and captivity won't change that. The surface and higher levels are where fish like them get eaten by predators, and they aren't going to want to go there.

You've picked fish that are not going to work out well in a tank that shape and size. They're smart, territorial, likeable and they live on the bottom of rivers, lakes, and aquariums. Either you change them out for species that like life higher in the water column, or you adjust. If they are hiding, they are unhappy - it could be adjustment, but they take a lot of space, and if they're crowded, they fight for space. They may be lovers and not fighters, in which case they'll avoid being seen by the rougher characters in the mix.

They are visual animals, and the decor on the bottom is important to them as markers for territory. They are staying close to it because they don't want to give it up.

Sorry for not responding to all replies I’ve just read through these properly now. Thankyou for all replies. I have now put in a large plant at the back of the aquarium and it really seems to have improved the activity of the fish. I’ll also be buying some hanging plants or floating plants to further help this

Thanks!

Three strategies none of which berates you for your wife's fish selection or decor.
  1. Add the surface plants that @davros suggested, bottom-dwelling (benthic) fish are always on the lookout for predators from above. I have found when I have dwarf water lilies, water lettuce, or frogbit at the surface my bottom dwellers will move up the water column even spawning on driftwood midway up. They are like a security blanket. :)
  2. Add a vertical element that reaches almost to the surface of the tank, you could attach java ferns and they might survive the species you have selected. This will reduce the sense of open water and their instinct to avoid it.
  3. Habituate them to associate mid and surface swimming with food. Do this by feeding less, but more frequently. This will also teach them to associate people in the room with food and keep them out so you can enjoy watching them.

As others have said, the fish in question stay towards the bottom, nevermind this tank is not large enough for them, but the only way to get them higher up, in my opinion, would be to add some levels to the tank. Driftwood, or stack some rocks. They need a reason to check out the upper levels.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back