How To Cycle A Tank?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

fishyfish890

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just asking how to cycle a new tank? Is it ok to leave a tank for 2 weeks without using filter start and then add a shoal of fish?

Many thanks,
Fishyfish890

For cycling a tank, I'd highly recommend doing a fishless cycle, i have done this several times and is well worth doing.

The benefits of this is no fish will be harmed at all during fishless cycles and is actually much more beneficial and quicker (4 - 8 weeks)  doing a Fishless cycle than doing a Fish in Cycle (3+ months, min) where you add fish as your ammonia source.

This is the article on how to Cycle Your First Fish Tank 

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

You will need, a water test kit, API Freshwater Master Test Kit comes recommended as good value for money and is a liquid based test kit which is far more reliable and accurate than the cheaper paper strip dip kits.

You can get these test kits from LFS or online, would shop around for best value one as these can vary in prices.

API FW Test Kit.png

And you will also need a ammonia source as well, any one of these below will be suitable, easily obtained online.

Kleen Off Ammonia.png              High Strength Ammonia.png               Dr Tims Ammonia.png

Hope these will help you get started and helps to see what to look out for
smile.png

I'm a smidge confused due to your other thread HERE.

Are there still fish in this tank? If so you do not want to add ammonia as it will kill them. Because you have fish you are having to do a fish-in cycle so I would read THIS and THIS.

If possible, I'd return your fish to the LFS or have them hold them for you or something while you do a fish-less cycle.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back