How To Change Substrate?

ChrisCook

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 28, 2005
Messages
472
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Surrey
Is there an easy way to change the substrate with the fish still in the tank? I want to change from gravel to sand as I have recently added Corys to my tank.

Can I just take th gravel out (there is soil underneath) and then add the sand somehow?
 
Hi, i wouldn't reccomend it, the sand will make the water clody and there will be lot of debris in the water with the switch over. This will be dangerous for the fish, as they could swollow it accidently.

You could just transfer the fish into a bucket, with the heater and filter running in that, then change the substrate :good:
 
How long would I need to leave the fish in the bucket to allow the substrate to settle?
 
until you can clearly see the details of the decorations and the back of the tank with little interference from settling matter - if you can see it, the fish can eat and "breath" it - neither healthy for the fish!
 
How long would I need to leave the fish in the bucket to allow the substrate to settle?

from what i have read on this forum, as long as the sand is washed thoroughly before hand, it should settle pretty quickly, add the sand first then use a siphon on the side of the tank glass to reduce disturbing the sand making it even more cloudy. hope this helps.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top