How To Change One Tank To A New Filter?

emmajt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a recently established tank tropical tank (fishless cycle completed last week) the tank now has fish in.... Until my mother came home with a goldfish from a hen party (random, something to do with bridesmaids film apparantly?) so I had to buy a new tank (60l), now I need a new filter for this tank but I was thinking of getting a external for my tropical tank and giving the established filter to the new tank? How do I do this without upsetting the water in the tropical tank that is already established with a new external filter in place wont I lose all the good bacteria?

I have a recently established tank tropical tank (fishless cycle completed last week) the tank now has fish in.... Until my mother came home with a goldfish from a hen party (random, something to do with bridesmaids film apparantly?) so I had to buy a new tank (60l), now I need a new filter for this tank but I was thinking of getting a external for my tropical tank and giving the established filter to the new tank? How do I do this without upsetting the water in the tropical tank that is already established with a new external filter in place wont I lose all the good bacteria?
why dont you just rehome the goldfish? as 60l will be to small for a golfish within a few months.

why dont you just rehome the goldfish? as 60l will be to small for a golfish within a few months.

It would be a nightmare to find a home that would treat them like that, if in a perfect world I would, but since ive been left with it im going to try and give it the best I can instead of some people that put them in 5litre bowls! Lets be realistic here...

Put nearly all your old filter media in the new external, and keep a third of it to use in the new tank with the goldfish.

That should seed both filters with enough bacteria to give you two cycled filters, but do make sure you test often and feed sparingly, in both tanks, in case of mini-cycles (where the bacteria die back a bit after being moved).

It would be a nightmare to find a home that would treat them like that, if in a perfect world I would, but since ive been left with it im going to try and give it the best I can instead of some people that put them in 5litre bowls! Lets be realistic here...
there is a shop in prudhoe which the owner will rehome the goldfish in his 400,000 gallon pond, tyne valley aquatics, its what I did when I had 4 goldfish in my 60l.

But if you don't rehome - Fluttermoth gave the perfect solution for you, splitting the media. I've done this before and both tanks remained cycled.

Ive seen a lot of goldfish in my time and none seem to have grown over say 4 inches... I dont see how 60l isnt large enough. If he did start to grow huge obviously I would rehome but I dont understand how its not big enough?
Splitting media tonight to be safe :)

I agree about goldfish size...I thought nothing of it when you said 60L. Should be good for a long time.

I agree about goldfish size...I thought nothing of it when you said 60L. Should be good for a long time.
goldfish grow to 20+ cm if kept in the right conditions, when they are kept in small tanks they release a hormone that stunts there growth and they stop growing although the internal organs do not stop growing so they become disfigured and die, they are also social fish and like to be with other fish of the same species, the tank will be ok for a few month depending on how big the fish is now.

I was stubborn and ignorant about what I thought my goldfish could be kept in from past experiences but after research and going on goldfish forums and getting told off by people my views on keeping goldies have changed and I wouldent even keep 1 in a tank less than 40gal, as its is cruel to keep one in a tank to small when you know the requirments for them, have a read through this
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_74/goldfish-size-life-expectancy.htm

goldfish grow to 20+ cm if kept in the right conditions, when they are kept in small tanks they release a hormone that stunts there growth and they stop growing although the internal organs do not stop growing so they become disfigured and die, they are also social fish and like to be with other fish of the same species, the tank will be ok for a few month depending on how big the fish is now.

I was stubborn and ignorant about what I thought my goldfish could be kept in from past experiences but after research and going on goldfish forums and getting told off by people my views on keeping goldies have changed and I wouldent even keep 1 in a tank less than 40gal, as its is cruel to keep one in a tank to small when you know the requirments for them, have a read through this
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_74/goldfish-size-life-expectancy.htm

Thanks a lot will have a read, poor things ive always knew theyve been kept badly in the world!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back