How To Care For Rams

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

qwertylol52

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
today i saw some nice baby dwarf rams at my LFS and i was thinking of getting a pair...so can any1 tell me the tank size, tank mates, food, water chemistry and plants/rocks needed..

also the ones i saw at my LFS were small and looked like ballons but the ones which i saw on the net were not like that but like this: http://www.fishforums.net/content/Cichlids...erman-Blue-Ram/

any difference?

Assuming balloon rams are basically the same as normal rams, and I think they are, then they would reach up to 3-3.5", they require a minimum of 20g for a pair, preferably a long 20g. They like a well planted tank with hiding places, like caves. They also like rocks to spawn on (thats if you get a m/f pair who mate up, which isnt guaranteed. Tank mates are any relatively peaceful fish that doesnt get large enough to bother them. They will eat in my experience, pretty much anything, flake, pellett, live or frozen food like blood worm, brine shrimp, prawn, tubifex, daphnia. The water chemistry needs to be very good, zero ammonia, nitrIte and as low as possible nitrAte preferably under 20ppm, and regular water changes.

Ph between 6.6 upwards to 7.4 is the recommeneded, however, mine are in ph 7.6-7.8 and I know many others have them in the same. They can be aggressive mainly to their own kind, however, most of it is bluff, unless they spawn when they could become very terrirtorial and can chase all over fish away from their eggs. They make pretty good parents, caring for their eggs and fry, although first time parents can eat the eggs/fry for the first few goes until they get the hang of it.

They are lovely fish, great personalities and providing you can give them the requirements they need are great little fish to keep :good:

minxy :( :( :(

i had no idea about them and went to LFS and got a pair, which are both MALE!! stupid LFS

i want them to breed, such lovely fish

Providing you have enough space and caves/plants shouldnt be a problem mate, they may square up occassionally, but as I say its usually always bluff, can be quite funny actually :) I have 2males and a female and no problems at all - so I wouldnt worry too much :)

Agree with everything minxfishy has said.

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi do have a reputation of being quite delicate, so be sure you are very dedicated to preserving water quality!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back