FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
We've all been there: You're at the local fish store, and you see a fish. You aren't sure exactly what it is or how big it gets, and you know better than to take the fish store employee's advice seriously. But right now it's small, and it doesn't act mean, and it's so CUTE!!!

Or worse yet, you do know what the fish is and how big it gets. You know it will probably outgrow your tank; you suspect its behavior and needs are incompatible with the fish you already have. But there was this one guy on youtube who said it could work...and it's so CUTE!

Well, I'll be honest: I've made this mistake a few times before I knew better. I've also spent a lot of time, both online and in person, helping people out who have done the same. Based on those experiences, I have developed the following procedure for those times when you are faced with the overwhelming temptation to purchase an unknown or unsuitable fish:

1. Ask your friendly pet store employee if you can borrow a large bucket. I find that a five gallon is about perfect.
2. Fill the bucket about 2/3 full of cold water. Water conditioner will probably not be necessary for this procedure, but you can add some if it makes you feel better.
3. Stick your head in the bucket.
4. Come up for air.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the temptation passes.

I hope this helps.
T

Hey :)
Never ever trust pet sellers.
Always made many researches before buying, keeping in mind that "speed and haste are the worst aquarist ennemies".

To me the temptation to buy new fish when ever I explore new fish shop. They have new fishes thats not in the normal LFS that I went ... now thats really how it starts ...

" I mean ... I have already travel this far to go to this shop ... which of course further from where I live ... "
Yeah thats the justification that I really buy new fish ... or fishes ... :mad:

We've all been there: You're at the local fish store, and you see a fish. You aren't sure exactly what it is or how big it gets, and you know better than to take the fish store employee's advice seriously. But right now it's small, and it doesn't act mean, and it's so CUTE!!!

Or worse yet, you do know what the fish is and how big it gets. You know it will probably outgrow your tank; you suspect its behavior and needs are incompatible with the fish you already have. But there was this one guy on youtube who said it could work...and it's so CUTE!

Well, I'll be honest: I've made this mistake a few times before I knew better. I've also spent a lot of time, both online and in person, helping people out who have done the same. Based on those experiences, I have developed the following procedure for those times when you are faced with the overwhelming temptation to purchase an unknown or unsuitable fish:

1. Ask your friendly pet store employee if you can borrow a large bucket. I find that a five gallon is about perfect.
2. Fill the bucket about 2/3 full of cold water. Water conditioner will probably not be necessary for this procedure, but you can add some if it makes you feel better.
3. Stick your head in the bucket.
4. Come up for air.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the temptation passes.

I hope this helps.
T
🤣

yesterday I was looking at cobra guppies and I wanted to save this one that was getting nipped by some tetras but I really didnt have room for it so I left the petstore without buying the fish food I needed

Happened to me a few months ago - went to my favourite shop with a 'short list' couldnt get what I wanted so got fish that were sort of on my B or C list and even as I was paying I started to regret it... by the time I got to the first motorway junction I decided to turn back and make better choices :)

Wills

Best way to avoid impulse buys.... Stay home...! :good:
well ... one still need to be out to buy fish foods, supplies ,,
I am using live feeder fish for my predator fish .... SO yeahh you cant stay home forever .... well unless you depend on pellets and flakes all year round.

Dont think thats the case

well ... one still need to be out to buy fish foods, supplies ,,
I am using live feeder fish for my predator fish .... SO yeahh you cant stay home forever .... well unless you depend on pellets and flakes all year round.

Dont think thats the case
Or send a family members that doesn't care about fish to the store with a shopping list... 😊

Oh wow! That's a new one! I fortunately have never impluse bought fish since i learned how to take care of them properly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back