How to avoid cyanobacteria?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Beckett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I am upgrading my lighting system from the hood/flourescent tube light that came in my Aqueon kit to a glass top and Fluval light.

Since the tank will have alot more light I want to do everything I can to avoid cyanobacteria/ blue green algae because I know it is toxic to dogs. I worry during water changes and other routine maintenance there could be a risk with my dog.
What can I do to avoid this type of bacteria? I was doing some reading and saw getting a circulation pump can help. I am thinking I might get the aqueon circulation pump 700. It is rates for 30-55 gallon aquariums.

My tank is 38 gallons, and has a Aqueon quiet flow 30 hang on back filter and an airstone right now that provide some circulation/current.

Anything else I should do to prevent blue green algae?

Keep nutrients down.
Don't leave uneaten food in the tank, especially dry food.
Do regular water changes and gravel cleaning.
Keep the water movement and oxygen levels up.
Have light globes with a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating.

I know it is toxic to dogs. I worry during water changes and other routine maintenance there could be a risk with my dog.

Note there are many different cyanobacteria out there and many (possibly most) don't produce any toxins. There are also many fish and snails that eat it. some is also used a food supplement people and farm animals.

Here is a Wikipedia article about it.

I have never worries about the toxins some varieties can produce. I just stock at least 1 Nerite snail per gallon of tank water. They keep the aquarium glass clean and overall minimizes the amount in my tank.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back