How old do Guppy Fry have to be...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Tank Commander

Reaction score
Ok, my 25 Guppy fry are 3 weeks old, just starting to get colours - how old do they have to be before I can free them from their little fry trap?

They look like they could still fit in the mouth of the female guppies but I am not sure...

Tank is quite well planted so plenty of places to hide, maybe I could send out a "scout" to see if they are still snack size... :alien:

I put mine back at a month old. But that's very safe, I think when they are 2 weeks, it's pretty safe for them. Actually, the newborn fry in the tank don't get eaten either...

it could depend ofcourse of how fast your fry grow, and what fish are in the adult tank....

I wait at least 3 months. I'm really paranoid they'll get chomped and wait until they are right at an inch apiece.

:D The fry should be larger than the biggest mouth of your fish, that way no one could eat them. My guppy fry are 4 months old and they are about the size of a small tetra. I'm going to wait until my 29 gallon tank is finished cycled, so I can realese all of my fry in there just to be sure that no one is eaten. :thumbs:

We waited until our guppy fry were about 5-6 weeks old. We made lots of little hiding spots in our tank, and then released the biggest ones first. We kept a close eye on them and everything was fine. About a week later, we released the remaining fry as well. We feed with a mixture of regular flake food and fry bites.

Also, it depends a lot on what other fish you have in your tank (and how big their mouths are!)

I put my fry in my 20 gal when they were about a month old. But i had other fish in there besides guppies. They were fine with the other fish. One tip tho is to put a net or something else over the filter siphon tube. I had one on there n decided that they were big enough that they didn't need it; i foung out that they weren't. One of my females got caught in there. Luckily i caught it in time n let her loose, she is fine now. JUST KEEP THAT IN MIND!! ;)

Most reactions

Back