How much heat?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Danny-uk-carp.com

Reaction score
I have a 30 X 15 X 15 tank (20 Gals / 100 litres)

I'm not to sure what heater to use, the tank came with a 200 watt heater, it's very long and seems a little powerful i also have 2 100 watt heaters in the cupboard and was wondering if 1 of those would be better, if not maybe the 2 100 watters would be better than the 200 watter. I also intend on putting a cork background in the tank so the heater will have to go on the side glass.

Any help would be great

Cool where should i put it?

Looking into the tank i have my inlet (fluval 104) on the right side of the tank and the outlet on left what side should i put the heater?

its all dependant on wheather the heater is submersible or not i mine about 1 inch from the bottem of the tank near the filter.

should i put the heater near the inlet or outlet. it's submersable! and pump is external

mines by the inlet i just put mine across the bottem so that it is out of view but i still have water passing over it then i have a thermoniter at each end of the tank to make sure it is ok. BUT that could be the wrong way to do it, but ive not had anyproblems as yet..

You should position the heater under the inlet so the water flows over it

hollywoodH said:
so ive not done it wrong then lol
hehe, well infront of the outlet is the most optimal and efficiant place, but u could put it anywhere if u want :p

No probs Dan :fun:

i did read that if your tank needed a 100watt to get a 150 watt for the tank as it was more effiecent at heating the tank! did that in the bigger tank i have. cant remember where i read it.

The standard rule of thumb is 5 watts per gallon of water!!

So in a 20 gallon (long) tank a 100 watt heater would be fine.

CM

50 watts per 10 gallons! thats the rule for me anyways, you should cycle your tank for about a month

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back