How Much Electricity Does An Aquarium Use?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mr Melt

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Allright lads.

This question will probably only apply to UK/NI members, so sorry everyone else!

Basically I have both my aquariums set up and running nicely. I'm now trying to consider the cost per week/month for running both tanks simultaneously...

Both tanks are as follows:

Juwel Rio 180 - Deltatherm 200w Heater, set to 27. Included are an Eheim 2213 Classic and an Interpet AV3 Airpump. I turn off the Airpump at night (as I need my beauty sleep); the filter (although a weak flow) generates enough to move the water and (I assume) continue oxygenation of the water.

Interpet Fishbox 50 - Deltatherm 100w Heater, set to 27. Included is an Interpet Internal Power Filter (PF1) - I leave it at full blast in the day then close the venturi valve at night, much like the aforementioned airpump method......

The Juwel Rio has the T5 model of lighting, which I run for about 4-6 hours a day (just enough to keep my swords alive and kicking). The Interpet Fishbox has a day and nightlight; the bulb manufacturers are unknown but I think theyre 240V's respectively (although that might not be the case). I run that for the same length of time as the Rio (running both tank lights at the same time!).

So yes, how much electricity does this consume per week/month? As a student, I'm a bit worried about the costs of keeping my fishtanks!

There was a thread on here last week I think and kitty kat told the person the correct answer. I'll have a look for it for you.

For my tank - apply the same forumlae:

Powerconsumption.jpg

Start worrying when you have to keep these warm & filtered: 350L 220L 70L 50L + 2 tanks of posion dart frogs, i never looked at the leccy ever again :good:

Using rough calculations (based on StandbySettings formulae) it seems that my tanks cost me roughly 15-20p per day. Is that bad or good?

PS - Northern Ireland Electricity charge us 14p per unit/kilowatt; #19###s ¬_¬

My 200w heater - surely it would only be on for a maximum of an hour a day? It only comes on to keep the water at a constant level does it not?

That's not bad to be honest, taking rising energy prices into account.
Can I get lower watt bulbs for the Rio? Like a low energy variant of bulb that keeps the plants happy at the same time?

No you can't, the ballast determines the power output not the tubes.
Shame =/

But in answer to my earlier question; are you sure that the heater isn't on for a limited time only? 4 hours in my eyes seems a bit excessive for a heater...... especially in the space of 24 hours.

I measured the power mine drew at 4 different points in the year, each 3 months apart and that was the average time they were on for.

It's a 50W heater and on average it drew 200W a day, in the summer it was something like 100W a day, and in the winter closer to 300W per day, so the average worked out at 200W per day

It's a 50W heater and on average it drew 200W a day, in the summer it was something like 100W a day, and in the winter closer to 300W per day, so the average worked out at 200W per day
For a 200w in a 180ltr how much would it be on per day?

It depends on the ambient temperature, but if you apply the average that I used then 4 hours per day, so it would draw 800W of power per day.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back