How much do YOU spend on a 10 gal betta tank?!

How much do you spend on a 10 gal for a betta?

• Total voters

bettaboi99

Reaction score
Hi! I’m doing a contest for college and $1250 is on the line. I’m designing a beginner friendly and humane kit for bettas.
So how much have you spent in the past on a 10 gallon betta tank? Including the tank itself, heater, filter, substrate, live plants, hides, lights, water change equipment, water conditioner, medications, etc.
NOT including the betta! :)
Thanks!

Fishmanic

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
At Walmart, you can get a 10 gallon tank delivered for $33. It comes with light hood and filter. Add $15 for a good heater....so $48 total for a brand new tank with all equipment. Plant cost is very variable ... depends how heavily you want to plant it. I recommend plants like anubias as they are low light plants. You would only need a small bottle of conditioner...maybe $6.00. Meds may never be necessary if you keep water quality high by doing frequent water changes. If you just have a single 10 gallon tank, you could probably just use buckets for your water changes. You should change out about 50% weekly. Special Betta pellets and maybe freeze dried bloodworms would run you another $17 or so but would last a very long time for a single Betta. If you buy a few plants , add maybe $20. Add $10 for substrate. So total would be around $101. I checked off $100 on your poll.

You could look on craigslist for used tank and equipment. Might save you a bit.

Last edited:

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
This is a hard one. I have a tank that I bought at a garage sale for $5 and used leftover items I had. Definitely cost less than $50. I have other ones that I wanted set up with lots of plants, rocks, and driftwood that have cost me a couple hundred dollars. I have a 20 gallon long that has more money tied into it than my 55 gallon does. I think it all depends on what you’re final goal is.

Fishmanic

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Once you get a few plants established, if you are patient, they will gradually grow and you can get new plants from them.

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days