How Much Ammonia To Add

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Captain Retardo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So im going to fishless cycle a new ten gallon native fish tank that I am setting up (BTW look for pics in the next few days of the entire set up). I know how the whole process goes and all that, ive been through it before, I just forgot how much ammonia to add, for some reason I cant find it on the internet either. How many mL would I have to add to get a 5.0 ppm ammonia amount in a 10 gallon tank?

It mostly depends on the concentration of ammonia, and how old it is. I've always just added several drops and then test, repeat until you reach 5ppm. However if you have the time, just put your new filter on one of your mature tanks, wait 2-3 weeks and you have a cycled filter (called cloning). Then you don't have to mess with ammonia.

the thing is though, that my main tank is going through a bad bout of either columnaris or some bad fungal infection which killed 7 fish already, dont' want the new tank infected.

Damn, I guess i'll have to do the guess and check method, I hate doing ammonia tests, take too long.

What would a good way of disinfecting nets be? all i did is pour boiling water over them, hope that works

Start with a first guess of about 2 ml. After that the test will show about 3 or 4 ppm if my math is right. Adjust based on testing results.

boiling water works, but you can get special aquarium disinfectant. Can't remember what it's called though...

Most reactions

Back