How Many Watts

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Wonderboy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
How many watts do I need for high lighting in an 80 gallon tank (apprx: 48"L x 18"D x 20"H)
What kind of lighting - would this work?

Is 4x65w not a bit of overkill on an 80g?

Not for really bright light, and there's pressurized CO2 as well. I'll admit, it's ambitious. He can grow some lovely plants if his water conditions are right. I would love to see some of the more fragile species. Wonderboy, you'll have to be neck-deep in Egeria in the beginning, however, to get your tank balanced. :lol: Could probably get away with less, but I've never seen a 3x65 W fixture. :lol: I've seen:

1x65
2x65
4x65

Do 3x65 fixtures even exist?

Wonderboy, you'll have to be neck-deep in Egeria in the beginning, however, to get your tank balanced.

I second that. I have 3.3WPG and my Egeria Densa is my main algae buster while the tank matures. It is growing like wild fire.

Fair enough, just wondered if that much light might not be best kept for the more experienced people as there will be little room for error!

Sam

Fair enough, just wondered if that much light might not be best kept for the more experienced people as there will be little room for error!

Sam

I second that as well. I feel that all the threads of algae in my are kicking the crap out of me at the moment!

Sam

I second that as well. I feel that all the threads of algae in my are kicking the crap out of me at the moment!

Appologies for that dave.. guilty as charged...(see my thread ;) )

I think a pinned topic that summarises how to get the right balance would be good. Thats what i have struggled with; combining lighting, CO2, fertilisation and planting levels...

I totally agree that people like me should start off low tech/low light. This journey acts as a great learning curve to see how things are affected, and how mistakes are made. A low tech tank environment allows for higher margins of error as the person (like me) figures out what works, what doesn't and how to get the balance right. Once you understand the balance, this sets you up a little better for the high-tech approach.

Cheers
Squid..

I think a pinned topic that summarises how to get the right balance would be good. That's what i have struggled with; combining lighting, CO2, fertilisation and planting levels...

If it was that simple, there already would be a pinned thread on it! :lol:

This journey acts as a great learning curve to see how things are affected, and how mistakes are made.

This will tell you far more than a pinned thread ever could ;)

Sam

I think a pinned topic that summarises how to get the right balance would be good. That's what i have struggled with; combining lighting, CO2, fertilisation and planting levels...

If it was that simple, there already would be a pinned thread on it! :lol:
Sam

You must have learnt by now; I live in dream world...

Still .. i will await the thread, whilst waiting for:
  • Self-cycling taks
  • Self-Cleaning tanks
  • Self-feeding fish
  • Self-pruning plants
  • and non-nagging women.. (although i think the others might come first)
Squid

I started off low tech three years ago on my 20 us gallon - I upraded to DIY and higher lighting a couple years ago, and now I have all the pressurized CO2 and 3.2 watts per gallon on my 20, and the only problem I had was a battle with hair algae for a month - I fought that off, rebalanced, and haven't seen it since. My 20 has been running strong for a while - I'm starting to rearrange it almost too often because I wish I could do more with it. And here's where my 80 gallon comes in.

I believe I am ready for this bigger challenge.

Most reactions

Back