How many of these fish can I keep in this tank?

Phil248

Reaction score
I have a 75 gallon and a 100 gallon aquarium, and I would like to know how many rope fish and Senegal bichirs I can keep together in each tank (if possible). I don't think that aggression will be a problem, because the rope fish will be larger than the bichir. I would prefer to keep them in my 75 gallon, and both tanks will be heavily planted with a cave system for the rope fish.

I’ve never kept a bichir but I’ve kept ropefish. They should be peaceful enough together but I would worry about the bichir/s possibly biting the ropes because of their poor eyesight. The bichirs will get a lot bigger than the ropefish. Same kinda length but much wider mouth.

The bichirs that I am interested in only get 13 inches max, so I'm not worried about them completely eating the ropes, but if there is aggression, I can move the bichir into another bichir only tank.

Senegal bichirs can get to about 24”, although they usually stay smaller in tanks. Ropefish don’t get much more than 12”.

That is a max size from decades ago, and I've never heard of a Senegal bigger than 15 inches in captivity.

That is a max size from decades ago, and I've never heard of a Senegal bigger than 15 inches in captivity.
That’s still bigger than a ropefish though, with a much wider and more powerful mouth. I’d still be cautious about a ropefish getting bitten, although there’s probably less chance if they’re used to each other.

I am going to see if they are good together, but if they are not, then I'm going to get to see what African fish tastes like.

I do have another tank for in case the bichir is aggressive. I was joking previously (clearly)

Most reactions

Back