How Many Livebearers (ultimately) In A 14g?

NathanS

New Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
England
Hi everyone,

I currently have 4 platies and 1 cory catfish (rescued) in a 14g tank. My LFS seems to think that's only 30% stocked, however I really want to know people's opinions on how many more I could add to create a sustainable, manageable community (my ultimate goal for this tank is a livebearer community tank)

Many thanks,

Nathan
 
The recommendation is 1" of fish for every 1 US gallon of water.

So you should aim for 14" of fish

Platties count for 2" of fish each so that's 8" used up

The cory depends what type it is so could be 2" or more.

So you've used about 10" of your 14" allowance - so another two platties would make it fully stocked.

I seem to get the impression that the 1" rule can be broken espicially if you are prepared to do more water changes (perhaps 25% twice a week) and if you over filter a bit.

Still there's not much room left in there
 
add another female platy...then the fry will take u to an overstocked level within a month or so so you will have to source homes for the fry then.
 
add another female platy...then the fry will take u to an overstocked level within a month or so so you will have to source homes for the fry then.

Don't the parents eat the fry if they are not removed?


Or if your soft like me, you check the filter!!! I wish I hadnt thought of this, I found 5 mollie fry in the tank - checked the filter and found another 5!! Gawd
:shout:
 
add another female platy...then the fry will take u to an overstocked level within a month or so so you will have to source homes for the fry then.

Don't the parents eat the fry if they are not removed?


Or if your soft like me, you check the filter!!! I wish I hadnt thought of this, I found 5 mollie fry in the tank - checked the filter and found another 5!! Gawd
:shout:
LOL, i found two Swordtail fry in my filter the other week, both are doing fine in the breeders net now!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top