How Many Fish For 350 Litre Tank?

fish_face

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone tell me roughly how many saltwater fish are advisable for a 350 litre tank (77 imperial gal/92 US gal)?

I'd much rather be conservative and have less rather than stock fully. Id eventually like clown fish, but will get them much much later when the tank is settled.

I would't mind a few cleaning invertibrates too at some stage.

Does anyone also know what fish are more hardy good to cycle your tank with?

Thanks guys :rolleyes:

Hi,
Can anyone tell me roughly how many saltwater fish are advisable for a 350 litre tank (77 imperial gal/92 US gal)?

I'd much rather be conservative and have less rather than stock fully. Id eventually like clown fish, but will get them much much later when the tank is settled.

I would't mind a few cleaning invertibrates too at some stage.

Does anyone also know what fish are more hardy good to cycle your tank with?

Thanks guys :rolleyes:
Firstly - how many fish depends on the size of the fish

I wouldnt cycle with fish - just drop a bit of prawn in the tank

As to what sort of fish - depends on whether u intend to go for a FO or a reef

By a good book and do a bit of research

I'd recommend u get a copy of Marine fishes by Scott Michael

Are you using live rock?

If so, that will cycle the tank. Add the live rock, keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite spikes, and when nitrite goes down, add one or two hardy fish/inverts. I'm not sure why you say you will add clowns 'much much later'? They are a good starter fish, nice and hardy, good to add after the live rock cycling. Or add one or two hardy bigger inverts like some shrimps or something. Then just go from there, stocking slowly.

For a fish only, (well FOWLR), a good rule for small fish is about 1" of fish per 2 gallons (imperial). So, for you, maybe 35" of fish or so. This only works for smaller fish of course.

If you aren't going down the live rock route, have a look at the fishless cycling thread on this forum, do that, and then add fish/inverts as normal.

I like the sound of live rock, but i'm still researching at the moment. Just bought a dvd marine aquarium guide to watch for starters.

I would like to keep invertibrates if possible and wouldn't want to get any particulary large fish, maybe just 6-10 smallish fish or something like that.

I think I read on one of the forum pinned items that ananomes are difficult to keep so to get clown fish later, but if they are more hardy then thats good.

Thanks for your help

I like the sound of live rock, but i'm still researching at the moment. Just bought a dvd marine aquarium guide to watch for starters.

If you've got the money, I would go with some live rock. Makes cycling very quick, and makes the tank look nice, and provides food for fishies.

I would like to keep invertibrates if possible and wouldn't want to get any particulary large fish, maybe just 6-10 smallish fish or something like that.

Things like cleaner shrimps, hermit crabs and other's are very easy... defitnitely beginners inverts :D

Yeh, well, as I say, up to about 35" of total length of small fish would be about right.

I think I read on one of the forum pinned items that ananomes are difficult to keep so to get clown fish later, but if they are more hardy then thats good.

Captive bred clowns will most likely NEVER have seen an anemone in their life... they dont need one, so dont worry aobut that. But yes, anemones are harder to keep.

Thats k :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back