How Many Fish Can I Get In A Ten Gallon Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
There is no golden rule. All those stories about so many inch of fish per gallon or complete bull.
I kept 29 fish happy for a very long time and in another 10 gallon 17 fish are doing just fine and most reached more than average length. It's all about good water quality and little stress. Hell... I even have a 6" pleco in that tank with 17 fish for a few years now.
Some of the fish in there are over 4 years old and although I had a few sick fish in the beginning (I blame it partly on the LFS), but now that this tank had really matured after 5 years I never had any illness in the last 3 years, none, zero, nada.
I always have one golden rule: look at the behavior of your fish, it often tells a lot. It's very simple; if your water quality is good and the fish are not stressed (a descent amount of hiding places and chosing the proper fish) then you can stock a lot. But make sure your tank is at least a year old and make damn sure that the water quality is indeed top notch and often that means that you have to go overboard with filtering. And you know what; once things do work every larger tank is simply a piece of cake. If you think that 100 gallon tanks are a challenge then think again. Keeping 15-25 healthy fish in a 10 gallon tank for years is much more challenging, a single small mistake can have desastrous consequences. People who say that you can only keep 5-8 small fish in a 10 gallon have no clue what they're talking about.

Oh, and btw; forget about tetras in a 10 gallon if you don't want any stressed fish.

i think I'm gonna like having you around.> HEHE

definatley dont use the 1 gallon to 1 " its rubbish use 1 cm of fish to 1 litre of water much better and means you can keep more i have a rekord 60 got 6 neons 6 glowlights and 2 bronze corys never ever had a problem it seems stupid 5 fish in a ten gall thats like putting this many commas in this space
-------------------------------------------------------
]
]
]
' ]
' ' ' ]
' ]
]
]

definatley dont use the 1 gallon to 1 " its rubbish use 1 cm of fish to 1 litre of water much better and means you can keep more i have a rekord 60 got 6 neons 6 glowlights and 2 bronze corys never ever had a problem it seems stupid 5 fish in a ten gall thats like putting this many commas in this space
-------------------------------------------------------
]
]
]
' ]
' ' ' ]
' ]
]
]

This topic has been raised from the dead more than once haha.
And my friend, using the 1 cm to 1 litre rule gives nearly the same results as the 1 inch to 1 gallon rule. If you consider most people convert at there being 4 litres in 1 gallon, and 4 cm in 1 inch…

Tell me if I am wrong…

But i do agree that the inch to gallon rule is rubbish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back