how many angels?

ryan

Spinning around
Reaction score
I am going to buy some young angel fish in the hope of raising them and letting them pair off. i was thinking of getting four young fish for my 190l 15" tall tank, would the tank be tall enough for four adults or two or none at all. would 4 be enough would i get a pair i could breed? how long does it take them to pair off? :D

I have no personal experience with angels, but based on what I just read in a book, young angels should be kept in a small group, but when they've grown up and get paired, one pair can be kept in about a 200 liter tank, 2 pairs take a 400 liter tank. It seems you could fit 4 young angels in that tank, but when they grow up, it might get a bit crowded. But maybe someone with personal experience can help you better :).

For now it will be fine to house the 4 of them there. Later though you should really move them to a bigger tank. Good luck with getting a pair. :)

I have my 2 quarter sized angelfish babies in a 10 gallon tank. They are fine now...but in a month or so I will be putting them into a 20 (or 29) gallon tank. If I get a 29 gallon, I might even get another angelfish (for a total of 3).

From what I've read, you should buy 6 angelfish babies in order to have good odds at finding a pair. You might have a pair with your 4, though...you never know. I don't think my 2 are a pair...they do however swim along side each other sometimes, but I notice that my female (I think she's female) nips at my male whenever she feels inspired. Honestly, I think my male likes the female, but she only tolerates him for as long as she can. Anyways...

I said all that to say...I have no idea how big your tank is in gallons, but, I think you may be able to keep a few babies in your tank for at least a month or two or three. But, if the tank is under 20 gallons, you should upgrade (to a 20) to keep a pair. I will say, though, that I've read on several angelfish websites that many folks keep one pair in ten gallons...with no problems. But, I'm sure that is with very regular cleanings and with NO substrate. But, I don't want to risk cramping my angelbabies, so I'm most defenitely going to upgrade very soon....plus, I can't go barebottom because I like decorations to much. :kana:

...the general rule you may hear a lot is one angelfish per 10 gallons of tank. Again, if you only have 10 gallons, I think you should go barebottom when keeping an adult angelfish...with hopes of upgrading. JMHO!

I don't know how long it takes angelfish to pair off. I hope this helps.

Cali said:
I have my 2 quarter sized angelfish babies in a 10 gallon tank. They are fine now...but in a month or so I will be putting them into a 20 (or 29) gallon tank. If I get a 29 gallon, I might even get another angelfish (for a total of 3).

From what I've read, you should buy 6 angelfish babies in order to have good odds at finding a pair. You might have a pair with your 4, though...you never know. I don't think my 2 are a pair...they do however swim along side each other sometimes, but I notice that my female (I think she's female) nips at my male whenever she feels inspired. Honestly, I think my male likes the female, but she only tolerates him for as long as she can. Anyways...

I said all that to say...I have no idea how big your tank is in gallons, but, I think you may be able to keep a few babies in your tank for at least a month or two or three. But, if the tank is under 20 gallons, you should upgrade (to a 20) to keep a pair. I will say, though, that I've read on several angelfish websites that many folks keep one pair in ten gallons...with no problems. But, I'm sure that is with very regular cleanings and with NO substrate. But, I don't want to risk cramping my angelbabies, so I'm most defenitely going to upgrade very soon....plus, I can't go barebottom because I like decorations to much. :kana:

...the general rule you may hear a lot is one angelfish per 10 gallons of tank. Again, if you only have 10 gallons, I think you should go barebottom when keeping an adult angelfish...with hopes of upgrading. JMHO!

I don't know how long it takes angelfish to pair off. I hope this helps.
it is 50 gallons or 190 litres

Cali said:
ryan said:
it is 50 gallons or 190 litres
Well, there you go....50 gallons should be fine for 4 or 5 adult angelfish.
i wondered how high is your tank, mine is 15inches high is that tall enough :nod:

ryan said:
i wondered how high is your tank, mine is 15inches high is that tall enough :nod:
I really don't know how high my 10 gallon is. It's not a "high" tank, so it should be the same height as any 20L tank. If you have a 50 gallon tank, you should have no problems with your angelfish.

...unless there is a such thing as a 50L tank. :( :blink: :kira: ;)

Most reactions

Back